Agriculture News, Markets, Weather, Ag Talk, Farm Machinery | Agriculture.com
Announcements
Please read the forum guidelines. Please post, reply, read, and view our tutorials to learn all about our new forums and features.
Labels
beekeeping

working the hives

by blueangelofmerc on ‎04-19-2013 03:37 PM (288 Views)
Comments
by on ‎04-23-2013 06:10 AM

It was warm here in the rural backwater yesterday, I was getting my fishing boat ready to go.  My honey bees  were active in the afternoon, so I sat there and watched them for about an hour.

I lost maybe four colonies over the winter, but will replace them when my bee guy in Shannon, Mississippi gets ready to ship packages. 

I called him a few weeks ago to have him send me some Caucasian Queens (he is about the only guy in the US that has them anymore) and he said it had been so cold down there that he had not done anything with propagating queens yet, he told me to check back around the middle of May.

I have been keeping bees for 30 years, I used to have 100 colonies til Varroa showed up, and Monsanto came out with their poison plants that shed poison pollen which has in my opinion decimated the wild honey bee and domestic honey bee populations.  It was a great day.   I think a bee hive is the only thing that is productive in this country anymore.   John