Agriculture News, Markets, Weather, Ag Talk, Farm Machinery | Agriculture.com
Community Manager
Jeff_a_Caldwell

Borlaug Dialogue: Why is it important?

Pretty busy week here in Des Moines -- the World Food Prize will be awarded here later this week, and it's the culmination of a week of sessions with world leaders and the scientific community surrounding food, hunger and food security around the world. It's quite an event, one that we're lucky to have here.

Personally, I think it's great to celebrate the work of Norman Borlaug. I never got to meet the man when he was alive, but I guess I consider him one of my idols. He worked hard, persisted when others said he couldn't do the job, and his efforts have saved over a billion lives around the world. Not bad!

There's a lot of hooplah surrounding this week's events, and they deserve it. But, besides all the fanfare and ceremony, what makes something like the Borlaug Dialogue so important to you, as a farmer? When you think about your role in helping provide food for the planet, what's the first thing that comes to mind when you think about the World Food Prize and the events surrounding it?

-----------------------------------------------
Jeff Caldwell
Agriculture.com Multimedia Editor
-----------------------------------------------