Honored Advisor

Re: The fight for technology.....

Thanks for puttin the brain to this one Jim,

Supposition can take you for a nice trip on this issue,  but I think the shock comes on the simple up front question,,,,

"If the expensive tool you bought requires software to preform that is not purchased with the tool, but is licensed by the purchaser of the tool, subsequently requires periodic updates from the company that owns the software ........and may or may not be the company that sold the tool ( in fact may be a company with a shorter life than yours).................. What on earth did you purchase???  "

I am having a hard time imagining this tractor to ever be a treasured antique being restored in the shop...

What I do see is an amazing proformance where power and fuel effeciency managed in the most effecient and gentle way I can imagine.

What I experienced was a great afternoon with my son....

And somewhere in this reality we reached a peak in enthusiasm over technology and have begun our journey down the other side, seriously evaluating which technologies should be avoided, not paid for, and will seriously judge.... what we desire...

This was a JD 8345 tractor with the variable speed transmission.  You select the speed and the computer varies the gear and motor speed to the most fuel effecient setting as the load varies....  It was impressive, pulling a moldboard plow with several sheers running at 15 inches of depth..     The tractor was less than a year out of the factory and the transmission stopped functioning on a saturday morning.  Dealer called up the tractor through satalite connection and found there were 12 updates that had not been downloaded.  Without JD tech support this wasn't going to happen on a Saturday or Sunday, and finally ate up 6 hours of Monday....  But had to be done before a technician could deal with the doodad that needed changed......  

We had plenty of time to reflect..........