Veteran Advisor

Re: What do farmers want?

Farm organizations..............well let's see.  our group that wanted to get a state pool for health insurance started for farmers,

contacted both biggie's.....FB and FU.........FU after two contacts, never responded to us.........

FB....would at least listen.......never have heard back.

Also two years ago, I brought attention to something that was hurting producers in the state.....I talked to the FB people, first the

local ninny.....only thing they could talk about was their trip oversea's  to look at farms over there.......the higher up said yes yes

i'll get back to you.....phone nor email hasn't went off yet.........

our states FB sponsors a radio spot......rural Kansas........they like to use the phrase "now that's rural"........

ok....i'll barrow that in a moment.

FB says they out to help farmers and rural America.....and do all sorts of thing.....to help us protect our livelihood...

ok.......

here is a link to our states insurance office......you can look up your rates on this site.....so I picked out Greely co........

the population density is 2 people per square mile..........."""" now that's rural """".

www.ksinsurance.org/autohome/home/hrins.php?c=3&county=Greeley&coverage=100

note a couple of things.......first, from what I understand, only the companys that write a lot of policy's are listed.....second,

note who is missing.

I hate to say it, but anymore i'm getting to the point where I don't trust anyone.....you can't trust the FB......you ask for help,

nothing, and their policies they want to push thru only help the big producers.....even tho mine and their dues are the same

amount.

as for those who have a "martyr complex".....saying they want the gov out of agriculture.......one of several things, first, they are already

big, maybe have surpassed the payment limits, etc.....plus the family have money......no they really don't need a farm program...they

don't need anything........not even crop insurance are trade regulation, etc.........

or there is another bunch......yes they are hard workers..........but working in town, then "farming", then digging holes, and doing trucking..

I don't know if I really can say they are "farmers....sound like they do everything else.....as I said, these people work long and hard

hours...I just wished I had half their energy anymore...but kind of do a whole lot of other things.

to be frank and honest.....one can most likely set up a hum dinger marketing plan....could work out contracts with processors

or direct users (more money/income), and as for insurance....we can piece together coverage for weather events, can also

get in the market to "lock in estimated production"....or "index"......with all the above....you could become successful......

but many many don't know, or want to know how to do the above, nor the interest.......

Overall......in my opinion.....we need some sort of basic "safety net, or "support system" have you that gives us a bottom price,

also the loan program can be helpful for cash flow.  crop insurance, overall needed......if you want to get a loan at the bank

and don't have 20x the assests  you are asking for a operations loan.