Agriculture News, Markets, Weather, Ag Talk, Farm Machinery | Agriculture.com

Join the July Crop Tour

by Community Manager ‎07-18-2012 11:18 AM - edited ‎07-20-2012 03:00 PM

0719MDAroute.jpg

Agriculture.com is tracking the MDA EarthSat Weather July Crop Tour, July 23-27. Follow along as our team helps document the status of the corn and soybean crops. Add your own comments about conditions on your farm and around your neighborhood.

The trip originates in Columbus, OH, criss-crossing the Corn Belt to Omaha, NE. The group, led by Kyle Tapley, MDA senior ag meteorologist, will provide daily crop reports detailing the potential yield reductions due to the extreme heat and drought.  The reports also will consider crop health, soil conditions, and disease/pest problems.

"With the early planting and hot weather, we should be able to do an early yield estimate for the corn crop," says Tapley. "The tour route is designed to hit as many of the largest producing counties as possible. It will also get us a good sampling of some of the areas most hard hit by drought and heat."

Farmers from across the country can submit their own yield estimates and related reports anywhere in the comments section of this blog.

Read more about the tour: Crop Tour

Comments
by Community Manager on ‎07-22-2012 08:54 PM

As I settle in for the night in Columbus, Ohio, I'm in position for the start of the MDA EarthSat Weather Crop Tour. On Monday, we will tour parts of Ohio and Indiana. Watch for photos and reports of what the tour scouts are finding. I arrived in Columbus from Bloomington, Illinois. On my drive over, field checks were made along I-74 and I-70. Ohio is the winner! The best corn and soybeans were seen in Springfield, Ohio.

Marketeye