Community Manager
John_Walter

$10 corn chart

[ Edited ]

Just posted a new story (full story and chart) with European technical analysis suggesting the prospect of $10 CBOT corn.

"Projected support at $7.00 is likely to cushion corrective bear waves, which would provide a convenient measured upside target of $10.00, should the $8.49 peak be subsequently broken," the report says.

"A large upside gap between $6.76 and $6.8525 will underpin projected support at $7.00, and only a sustained break below $6.76 would negate thoughts of reaching the psychologically-important $10.00 level."

Such charting hold any water? Thoughts?

Thanks...

John

Advisor
giolucas

Re: $10 corn chart

John,

Is there anything on Soybean and the projected levels?  I think that when we get into unchartered levels grains can trade wildly and it does not take much to get up there.

Community Manager
John_Walter

Good point. Nothing in that story, though, about the beans, other than referencing that front-month soybean futures recorded a new all-time high on Tuesday. So, yes, this all looks pretty interesting as far as "uncharted levels," as you say. -- John

Veteran Advisor
Jim Meade / Iowa City

The proclaim themselves corn bulls and their article supports their claim.

Advisor
time:thetippingpoint

There is NO math to support $10 corn. None. The math supports $8 highs. An over-run because of the worst drought in almost 100 years, would next support trading at $9.50 for about 4 seconds and then back down to $6.50 in a few weeks. 9.50 is very important in wheat and soybeans as in 6.50, but $10 is important to nothing none of the time.

Advisor
hardnox604008

I'm hoping, not that I'm personally speculating that it might.

Given the fact that there haven't been any adults at this party for a long time, let's just let the kids really screw things up.

I'm hoping that final yield comes in a billion or so lower and the government does nothing to alter policy. 

Then, like the story that Lincoln told, I'm just going to go get my brother 'cuz he's never seen a train wreck either.

"People of privilege will always risk their complete destruction rather than surrender any material part of their advantage. Intellectual myopia, often called stupidity, is no doubt a reason."

J.K. Galbraith
Advisor
jrsiajdranch

Time I understand what your saying however 6 years ago there was no chart that supported 5 dollar corn either.  That's because you can not chart the devaluing of the dollar.

Advisor
hardnox604008

I think it probably is going to $10 or above if da gubbmint doesn't intervene.

Gubbmint may open checkbook in response to squealing shoats but won't intervene on ethanol mandate before the election . Ergo.....

"People of privilege will always risk their complete destruction rather than surrender any material part of their advantage. Intellectual myopia, often called stupidity, is no doubt a reason."

J.K. Galbraith
Advisor
time:thetippingpoint

That is not true JR. As many might remeber, in Dec of 2005, (114 month low in corn), I wrote a note about how corn "should" trade at $6 in 2008. I mentioned for years that $6 should be the destination, just like I have been saying for the last 3 years that SX should trade at $18. Not there yet, but maybe tomorrow.

You are correct that $5 has no mathematical relevance for any market that I know of. But the math clearly supported $6 corn. When corn made the $8 high in 2008, vs. the expected $6, it shifts the math to a higher energy level. So, now, $8 is the real fundamental resistance, but with insane monetary policy, insane ethanol policy, and insane speculative trading limits, corn might (but I think not), but it might trade at $9.50 for a few seconds, but this MUST happen in the next 2 weeks, because the PARTY IS OVER. Just simply out of TIME.

Corn breaking $8 is very similar to wheat breaking the 10.60 expected high (expected in 2005). It broke it by $2.40 for a few weeks. Might be wise for corn farmes to review history of what happens next.

The devaluation of the dollar is ALREADY IN THE PRICE.....JR

Veteran Contributor
llakmf

Time I am confused what you are saying. Is 8.00 all the market can bear, According to the pig site Hormel net just increased 13% for the quarter. Ethanol is supposedly making money, and exports arestill ongoing. TSN is also according to Yahoo Finance loaded with cash and looking to buy anything. One thing I do agree with, this will be an auction of crops and in the end he owns or does not. That will be coming up quickly.I just think this auction will last a little longer than you say. Maybe as late as 83. Perhaps the last of the first week in Oct.