Advisor
Red Steele

2012 Sales

Harvest is coming along, but slow for me, dealing with an injury and a major combine catastrophe, but back in the saddle. I have gone from one third sold on new crop corn and soybeans to just about half sold, not on any new sales, but on reduced yields. OK, I guess not quite that bad, but I will get a crop ins check in southern MN. So those that think Southern MN is all honey and biscuits this year, not always the case. Had a field of 60 bu corn, and one of 100, and then a 185. Corn yields all over the board depending on soils and local rain. Beans have been more consistent...I am on the last soybean field today, and unless it breaks expectations, will not have a single field go over 40, some in the 20's.

I don't know if the market went high enough to ramp back consumption enough to get to next fall yet and I would not advise anyone to gamble with the grocery money, but I did hear that the county south of me issued over 30 new hog barn permits last year. I doubt if those buildings are going to sit empty, regardless of what corn does in price. Maybe we will be able to import SA corn and soybeans for a few months next summer. How much freight is involved to get grain from the ports to the midwest?

Having said all that, there is a huge pile of corn sitting at a coop north of me where they had more rain and heavier soils. HUGE pile..I guess they had local averages well over 200 bpa.

"Peace on earth would mean the end of civilization as we know it" Joseph Heller
Esteemed Advisor
sw363535

Re: 2012 Sales

Hog barns south---------------- corn pile north.

Red,    The word is "Toll gate"      :smileyhappy:

Hope your OK,   Not just guttin out that injury.

sw
Veteran Advisor
Nebrfarmr

I thought I was 15% sold, on average yield, but turned out to be 25. I was actually scared to sell more, as parts of the field looked horrible, like 35-40 BPA in spots, but also quite good yields, in spots. I walked down a few rows from one end to the other, and the very poor ears of corn vastly outnumbered the very good ones. As luck would have it, I think I wound up choosing the 4 or 5 worst spots to walk from one end to the other. I was actually afraid to sell more, just in case, it was that bad. On a part of the field where I go down to the end and back, and have the combine bin about 80-90% full on a good year, I made 5 rounds, instead of one, before I dumped. The variety I planted there, a 109 day corn, for good yield had tasseled in the 113 degree heat. Incredibly, once I got past it, into my 105 day corn I plant so I have some drier corn to start harvesting, it made almost 200. Planted side by side, same day, same planter, under the same pivot. I guess it's better to think you were going to get 40 across the field, and wind up with 140, and have extra corn to sell, than sell more than you can raise. Oh, and my sales were over a year and a half ago, when nearby was about $7, I was the second person to contract 12 corn at the elevator. This spring, when they were talking $4 corn, my $6.40 cash contract seemed a stroke of genius. Now, not so much, LOL.
Frequent Contributor
NateWCMN

I went from about 40-45% forward sold to over 65% on 73 to 140 bu/acre yields, although the last 1000 bu contracted was over $7.  Same story on beans.  There are areas in WC MN and south where the corn on the heavy ground that got some timely rain is pushing 200-220 bpa, and the bean 60-65 bpa.  Prairie Grain Partners in Clarkfield, MN has some huge corn piles this year.

Senior Advisor
kraft-t

Maybe you can do like I do. Hire it customed farm. Better farmer equals better crops and you could market full time at something you are expert at. Lol!

Advisor
Red Steele

I will see the doctors in December, once the harvest and tillage are over. Also, then bills start counting towards 2013 deductible. Maybe Obama will come out and help me build my business until then. Not to get all political in marketing, but I thought about our skinny friend in the white house a lot while figuring out how to raise a 40,000 lb machine back off its side and how many times he has had to deal with real decisions and effort.

"Peace on earth would mean the end of civilization as we know it" Joseph Heller
Esteemed Advisor
sw363535

Red,

That's what I thought I saw between the lines.

Have a good winter!!

sw
Veteran Advisor
Mizzou_Tiger

red???????

spill the beans already...........

major combine issue.........hoisting 40K upright.........

sounds like you are alright..........but must be one hellva story.........

Veteran Contributor
sixtysixx

so I have these two buyers from two local elevators that are straight blowin my phone up and stuffing cards in my door, when I asked how they got my number and address, they said from previous business, now I will admit that there has been a few brain cells lost along the way BUT know for a fact that Ive done no business with them, is this a good sign to hold hold hold?? and are you guys seeing this too?

Veteran Advisor
Nebrfarmr

I just got a call from a grain buyer, for a place I haven't taken corn to, for at minimum 2 years, maybe 3.  He said they are able to take 'immediate delivery' and are paying 8 cents over the local Cargill or Co-Op.

Never before, in my life, have I ever been called for corn, before May or June (People I deal with, know I have bins).

Makes me go hmmmmm....   Anyway, I told him, when it hits $8 or better, cash price on my farm, to call me, and instead of sounding surprised at my price, actucally said it should be an easy goal to reach, as so many of his regular customers are short bushels this year, and they are already looking for more corn.  This from a place that has buying stations in at least 3 counties.