Agriculture News, Markets, Weather, Ag Talk, Farm Machinery | Agriculture.com
Community Manager
marketeye

2012 Yield Monitor

[ Edited ]

UPDATED Monday, September 17, 2012:

Central Illinois:

From 5 bu. that they chopped down, to 40 to 60 bu. east of Lexington, to 150 bu that is just south of Hwy 9, east of Bloomington. There are not a lot of guys running right now, with the moisture still in high 20's.

Nebraska:

I'm hearing the irrigated corn is yielding around 155 bushels per acre. And the non-irrigated is closer to 100 bu./acre.

Southwest Iowa:

Corn harvest is going fast. Corn will be done before beans are started to be cut. Without giving a yield average, one farmer says the yields are not very far below average.

Southcentral Iowa:

Corn harvested over the weekend yielded 120 bu./acre in one field. Otherwise, the yield was closer to 100 bu./acre in some other fields.

Mike

--------

UPDATED Monday, September 10, 2012:

Northwest Illinois:

The insurance adjuster gave a yield estimate of 45-75 bu./acre for silage corn chopped last week.

Mike

------

UPDATED Friday, August 31, 2012:

-----------

North-central Iowa: 

110-170 bushels/acre with moisture levels averaging around 25%. See more here. 

-----------

Waterloo, Indiana (just north of Auburn, IN):

80 bushel/acre yield expected. Ears aren’t dropping from the stalks like they should be, signifying they could be facing some longer drydown than expected, whether in the field or mechanically. Sounds like that might mean harvest may not roll around there until early- to mid-October.

-----------

Southwest of Decatur but north of St. Louis, IL

This report provided by a buyer of corn.

"Certain areas we are finding some aflatoxin but have not had to reject a load yet….notice I said yet!  Seems to be showing on the later planted corn (After April 24th) and on the worst soil so far.

Yields are all over the board.  Will give general areas to helpout somewhat.  With all the bad yield reports I thought I would send a quick recap."

Franklin (7 miles SE of Jacksonville) field avgs of 150-190 most around 165
Ashland (15 miles west of Springfield) field avgs of 130-160…most around 150.
New Berlin (15 miles south of Ashland) 145-185, most around 160
Virginia,  110-150, most are around 125-130.

Beardstown, our farms yields
River Bottom Dryland
50 acres, sand on ¼ of it, made 107.  Expected 80 bpa
81 acres, made 136 bpa, expected 80
70 acres, best dryland soil we farm with 15 irrigated went 211 bpa.  Expected it to be 165
65 acres, next to Sangamon river, this farm is normally swampy with avg rainfall, made 192.  Expected 160

Irrigated
140 acres, 222 bpa, expected 200.  This field does not have dryland corners
180 acres, 229 bpa, expected 185 as this field has 22 acres that is not watered.

"Overall not a great crop compared to average but most (8 out of 10) are 15-20 bushels better than expected in our draw.  On North and West of IL River not much harvest is taking place yet."

Mike

-------

UPDATED Monday, August 27, 2012:

Westcentral Illinois

--A dryland field averaged 40 bu./acre, over the weekend.

--A separate field recorded aflatoxin.

Mike

------

UPDATED Thursday, August 23, 2012

Waverly, Illinois (just west of Springfield):

"8-of-10 customer farmers say yields are better than expected," says a seed dealer Thursday.

--A dryland field harvested a corn yield average of 107 bu./acre vs. an expected 80 bu./acre.

--Another 83 acre field recorded a yield of 136 bu./acre vs. 80 expected. In that field, the yield monitor ranged from 40-240 bu./acre, due to varied due to soil types.

Ashland, Illinois: 140-160 bu./acre yields recorded vs. an expected 120.

Irrigated corn+ 206 bu./acre vs. and expected 190.

Note: This area of Illinois averages around 18-inches of rain/year between April 1-August. This year, only 4-inches were received. So, what do you make of this? Better seed varities than in 1988?

Mike

-------------------

UPDATED Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Mt. Pulaski, Illinois

--A farmer harvesting corn this morning is reading 60 bu./acre on his yield monitor. This field normally will avg. 120-140. And three years ago did 210 bu./acre. This a field with lighter soils. Moisture readings are 25%-30%. Farmer says his approach is to harvest quickly and sell as much as he can off of the combine. He already has a lot sold at 50 bu./acre on $6.

--Other area corn that has been harvested is coming in around 120 bu./acre and 19%-20% moisture.

Mike

------

UPDATED Monday, August 20, 2012

--Corn harvested near Onawa, Iowa (western Iowa) is coming out of the field with between 20%-30% moisture Tes weights are coming in around 52 lbs. Yields are sparse, due to most farmers waiting for the crop to dry and nobody wants to report yields.

--Harvest is just starting around Henderson, Iowa (western Iowa). Moisture levels are 18%.I don't have any actual yields.

--A lot of chopping of corn is occurring in northeast Iowa around New Hampton. A lot of livestock in that area to feed.

Mike

---------

UPDATED Thursday, August 16, 2012

I don't have any actual yields. But, I have it on good authority that the yields coming out of western Iowa are 'scary'. Can anyone provide actual yield reports from western Iowa?

Mike

----

UPDATED Tuesday, August 14, 2012:

Mid-Champaign County, IL

Corn that was harvested late last week recorded a 123 bu./acre yield.

UPDATED Monday, August 13, 2012:

Caldwell, IL

95 bu./acre dryland with 23% moisture and no aflatoxin. When harvest activity picks up, next week, the areas that had more rain hope to pick 125 bu./acre corn.

Pleasant Pines, IL (West of Springfield)

"Not that good" was the quote. Moisture level for a load that came in this morning was 25%.

Springfield, IL

Dryland corn harvested recorded a 60 bu./acre yield. And there is a lot of those reports, I was told. For those fields that caught rain, yields of 150-160 bu./acre are being reported.

Beardstown, IL

Will start to harvest at the end of the week. The bottom ground is expected to be between 120-130, and irrigated between 180-200. This farm spent $150 per acre on irrigation this year, compared to $70 per acre in a normal year. If they can make an extra $20 per bushel, on this year's crop, that pays for the diesel fuel costs.

In 9-counties around Virginia, IL

A lot of 80 bu./acre corn will be harvested. Keep in mind the worst stuff will be picked first, the crop consultant says. Aflatoxin can be found in 1-out-of-200 ears, below the export market's maximum level of 20 parts per billion.

Mike

------------------

Jerseyville, IL

100 bu./acre corn harvested at 51 lb test weight.

Griggsville, IL (west of Decatur)

Yields are ranging from 8-96 bu./acre. The moisture levels are ranging from between 17%-28%.

Malden, MO

Dryland corn yields range from 20-50 bu./acre

Irrigated yield reports are 200 bu./acre and better

What are your actual yield reports?

Mike

Community Manager
marketeye

Re: 2012 Yield Monitor

[ Edited ]

On Friday, a floor trader shared that the corn market wants to see actual yields. Until then, the market will be cautious. Here is the conversation.

Thanks for sharing your yield reports.

Mike

Veteran Contributor
NABFarmer

Just started swathing up here in northern Alberta, crop is at least two weeks early.   Combining of winter wheat has begun, and swathing of canola, peas, and barley has also started.  North of where I am they started combining peas, and redspring wheat last week with yields of 10 to 15 bushels an acre.  I'll be combing barley in a few days, going to be interesting to see bushel weight, small kernels, and light; but we are one of the few dry spots in Canada this year. 

Veteran Contributor
ag-?

Here in Northern ND where we have had good timely rains the barley coming off has been light in test weight so this warmer summer has had effect on the crop even with moissture. I can imagine this is going to play out in corn to where the test weight is going to be effected by warm summer and lack of moisture. I wonder what this heat has done to soybeans even here they look good but is this heat going to have effect on the crop. Also the canola crop have been effected by heat and also aster yellow has shown up alot in the fields and i believe the yields are going to be down significantly. time will tell.

Veteran Contributor
Whitesand_Farms

Where abouts in Northern Alberta are you? I drove across the prairies last week and thought the cereals looked pretty good, canola on the other hand was going to be a disappointment for most.

Veteran Contributor
NABFarmer

Just north an hour of a place called Grande Prairie nice crops around there, rain just didn't seem to want to cross over the saddle hills, hoping to have enough to fill contracts since elevator company wants price difference plus thirty dollar a ton administration fee.   The place with the yields I posted are further north, place called La Crete.  Seems we are in the reverse of your garden patches, stuck in a drought while the rest of Alberta seems to have had plenty of moisture, province wide they say crops are amazing.  In any event for the first time ever I doubled swathed a cereal crop, fifty feet of barley to try and keep the 8120 full. 

Senior Contributor
SouthWestOhio

NAB how much would it cost you to truck any shortages in yourself from the garden spot an hour away. Just sayin there might be a deal in that for you.

Senior Contributor
too close for comfort

Lacrete is up there a ways. Is there any farming north of that?

Veteran Contributor
Whitesand_Farms

I talked with cousins in Bonanza and they say they have great crops so I assumed the whole Peace region had good crops. I'm up in NE Sask and we had the opposite. Three straight years of way too wet and the crops here are poor lots drowned out, lots unseeded I will be heading back out to work this winter to pay bills again lol.
Community Manager
marketeye

[ Edited ]

UPDATED Monday, August 13, 2012:

Caldwell, IL

95 bu./acre dryland with 23% moisture and no aflatoxin. When harvest activity picks up, next week, the areas that had more rain hope to pick 125 bu./acre corn.

Pleasant Pines, IL (West of Springfield)

"Not that good" was the quote. Moisture level for a load that came in this morning was 25%.

Springfield, IL

Dryland corn harvested recorded a 60 bu./acre yield. And there is a lot of those reports, I was told. For those fields that caught rain, yields of 150-160 bu./acre are being reported.

Beardstown, IL

Will start to harvest at the end of the week. The bottom ground is expected to be between 120-130, and irrigated between 180-200. This farm spent $150 per acre on irrigation this year, compared to $70 per acre in a normal year. If they can make an extra $20 per bushel, on this year's crop, that pays for the diesel fuel costs.

In 9-counties around Virginia, IL

A lot of 80 bu./acre corn will be harvested. Keep in mind the worst stuff will be picked first, the crop consultant says. Aflatoxin can be found in 1-out-of-200 ears, below the export market's maximum level of 20 parts per billion.

Note: I realize these are the same yields that are posted in the original thread. But, since it's hard to tell when the thread is updated, I have posted them in a way that you can see that there is fresh activity Monday. I hope this helps.

Mike