Agriculture News, Markets, Weather, Ag Talk, Farm Machinery | Agriculture.com
Esteemed Advisor
Hobbyfarmer

2012 will be normal rainfall

for many parts of the midwest this year.

From here in South Podunk Country, Iowa to the east

these fall rain events are catching up the rain defiencies for the year.

1.13 inch yesterday morning in the rain buckiet.

1.54 inch more in the guage this morning.

The temp is the only thing that will stand out in yearly totals.

The yard has really greened up and will need shortened again with the warm temps forcasted this next week. Will be nice to see the big brown patches get smaller before freeze up.

60% of the time, it works every time.

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of dung by the clean end."
Senior Contributor
ray h.

Re: 2012 will be normal rainfall

It seems the druoght has moved west,to the PNW.

Veteran Advisor
Shaggy98

Not so fast, there are parts of Kansas that are not out of danger.  Several areas received significant rain to get the wheat up and growing, but if we don't receive additional fall and winter moisture, the wheat crop around here won't be much to talk about.  2012 was year number two for several Kansas producers.

Esteemed Advisor
sw363535

For sure Shaggy.

I traveled 25 south for the fun of it.   Wheat stubble looked like it was cut yesterday.  A lot of wheat was planted but it looked like this was the first rain it had seen.   Very spotted.

sw
Esteemed Advisor
Hobbyfarmer

I'm sorry I did not make this very clear, what I intended to convey was that when the year is over the rainfall totals will not look too bad for a large part of the corn belt.

Year totals, not growing season totals.

'77 was like that here. Worse drought than this year as far as yields went but in the fall the monsoons began and much of the area I live in got 20+ inches of rain starting the end of Sept to the first of the year. Lots of crops (such as they were) harvested in Jan and Feb with a foot of snow and mud underneath.

The statistics for the year do not show it came 3 to 4 months too late to make a crop.

Southern Ill is going through that right now... they mowed their corn and now much of the same area has had 12 to 20 inches of rain in the last 30 days.

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of dung by the clean end."
Veteran Contributor
farm-n-hawk

WOW!   Lucky you.   Not a drop this go round.   Have had no rain for better than a month and only little over an inch since July.

Our soil profile is E-M-P-T-Y.

Senior Contributor
Wind

A 2.67" rain event sure would change a farmers out look.  Glad for you.  There where much heaver rains all around us, .75" in my rain bucket, central Iowa.  Thankful for ever drop.

Hobby, you do not have to answer this question, but where in the world is South Podunk Country, Iowa?  Last week my wife and I took a drive to Cumberland IA to visit an old neighbor of ours.  We left I-80 at exit 64, then drove south to Cumberland.  On the way home we drove near Massena, then north through Anita.  I had no idea there where so many wind turbines in that area.  They must be rather new.  Did we come close to your farm?

Wind

Veteran Advisor
Nebrfarmr

No rain here, either. So dry the hemp weed and kochia has dried up, except in the waterways that irrigation water went down.
Esteemed Advisor
Hobbyfarmer

http://books.google.com/books?id=jU8EAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA81&lpg=PA81&dq=podunk+center+iowa&source=bl&ots=0...

Senior Contributor
Wind

Thanks Hobby, I was too far west.   Every town big or small has some unique history to it.  Your in rattle snake country, so I was told when I was a young boy.  "The only rattle snakes found in Iowa are near Winterset."  Looks like the markets are falling hard this morning just like that sky jumper yesterday:smileysad: