Agriculture News, Markets, Weather, Ag Talk, Farm Machinery | Agriculture.com
Community Manager
marketeye

2013: What's Your Question?

[ Edited ]

As 2013 gets set to start, let's look ahead. We could spend all day recapping the unbelievable market events of 2012. But, frankly, as someone who writes market information on a daily and sometimes hourly basis, year-round, looking forward sounds more interesting. To get you started, I list a few questions in this story:

Questions galore for 2013

So, what's your question?

Thanks for sharing throughout the year. It truly is all of you that make this Marketing Talk section so lively.

Mike

Senior Advisor
Shaggy98

Re: 2013: What's Your Question?

Mike, they paying you some OT?  Dude, it's Saturday!  LOL

Keep up the informative posts, I read everyone of them.

Hope you have a Happy New Year.

Senior Advisor
ECIN

Shaggy has a dang good question ! That was what I was going to ask tomorrow on Market Guess !!!!

Now what am I going to ask or guess

Well while I'm on here , might as well ask you something , So Mike will the Mississippi and the Missouri Rivers break all time flood records and will IN. IL and IA get any corn planted before the first of June from too much rain ?

Senior Advisor
kraft-t

2013 is another year

With worrisome questions about weather and if we will get the needed rain. Fortunately the snow fall through out the country indicates the precipitation is at least possible. I'm expecting a few timely rains to recharge the soil prior to planting. It always does, right?

But then I am an optimist that is buying fertlizer seed and chemicals. I must be confident that it will rain sometime?

Anyway, I hope 2013 is a prosperous year for all of us in farm country. Plus I would like to thank Mike and the people at Agonline for all that you do. Happy new year Folks!

Senior Advisor
Shaggy98

Re: 2013 is another year

Kraft, you are way more optimistic than me.  I've bought seed, but I've cancelled fertilizer orders.  Water is something I'd like to order, so where is this snow again.  That 1" of 

powder we received about 10 days ago didn't do us a lot of good.  Every little bit helps, but at that pace we will need another 100 storms.

Senior Contributor
JCCWIS

Re: 2013 is another year

Actually starting to get some snow build-up up here in the North !! Happy Days !

I am committed to planting again...seed and fertilizer paid for. And  NO  ECIN.....wife has not had me commited to the County House for retarded  farmers !! lol  John

Esteemed Advisor
sw363535

"Weather or weather not?  That is the question".

sw
Advisor
time:thetippingpoint

2013: What's Your Question?

As 2013 gets set to start, let's look ahead. We could spend all day recapping the unbelievable market events of 2012.

So, I'll take a few moments on this one Mike.

But first, I must take issue with the above quote from your posting. There was absolutely nothing "unbelievable" about the market events of 2012. The length of the rallies due to drought was textbook. The highs occurred within a few days of when they normally do. The precentage of price increase is virtually identical to past droughts. The declines after have been bizarrely predictable. So, the base premise of most media is just off base. Always overstating the reality. Always hyping everything. It is not conducive to good management or rational thought process.

The real question that must be pondered it seems to me is a pretty deep one.

How long will a bankrupt government continue a policy of massive subsidies and mandated usage for the "land" rich class? It could last a long, long time. It should stop immediately...but won't. IF we assume that no one will give in until forced to by external forces, when does the government and fed loose the ability to print money at will without any impact on economic stability? The future is pretty obvious, but the choices that will be made, and how they impact ag is not that obvious to me.

Esteemed Advisor
sw363535

A little hard to complain about "overstating reality" and "hyping everything"  when you make the statement in the following paragraph.

How long will a bankrupt government continue a policy of massive subsidies and mandated usage for the "land" rich class?

Wow talk about overstating reality and hyping everything.  Time you must write for the New York Times.

put a smiley on a joke like that.

sw
Advisor
giolucas

Mike,
my question for this coming year is how many more orders will China cancel this coming year and wait for the price of grains to fall?

Also, how much will they buy from us compared to the other competing countries?