Agriculture News, Markets, Weather, Ag Talk, Farm Machinery | Agriculture.com
Advisor
hardnox604008

220 crude?

Nomura securities analysis that just the loss of output from Libya and Algeria means crude at 220. Take it for what it is worth.

http://www.zerohedge.com/article/nomura-predicts-220-oil-if-just-libya-algeria-cut-output

Of course the real question, then, is what happens to "risk assets" as the Fed has run interference for the whole world to be long equities and commodities and short the USD.

Another thing to worry about, Saudi Arabia next?

http://www.zerohedge.com/article/if-mountain-will-not-come-muhammad-revolution-will-come-saudi-arabi...

Could make for a very interesting planting season.

Nothing could surprise me but I wouldn't be at all shocked by a period of relative calm. The PTB has put the fate of the nation of the Fed asset reflation play and won't go gently.

"People of privilege will always risk their complete destruction rather than surrender any material part of their advantage. Intellectual myopia, often called stupidity, is no doubt a reason."

J.K. Galbraith
Veteran Advisor
Palouser

Re: 220 crude?

Pretty big 'IF'.

Let's say that things become so messy for logistics and control that oil stops flowing in LIbya. No matter who takes control pumping oil would be a high priority. It is a national asset no matter what goes on, so destroying facilities would not be likely.

Oil will be pumped.

Senior Contributor
GoredHusker

I've got to agree.  Oil is the golden goose in the Middle East.  It would take a complete baffoon on either side of the aisle to even think about killing the golden goose.  With everything that went on in Egypt, the Suez Canal didn't miss a beat.  The longer things play out the better the chances of oil hitting $220, but I don't think it will be there long.  If more countries see  uprisings, the fear factor could definitely take us beyond all time highs.  However, it should be short lived as no matter who is in power once the dust settles they will want to keep the golden goose laying eggs. 

Veteran Contributor
nitefarm

Have you forgotten about the oil fires in kuwait.

Veteran Contributor
chipster22

Unfortunately some leaders in the middle-east have a higher priority than making money.  It's my understanding that Iran's leader wants to usher in the end of the world along with the 12th Imam or some such nonsense.

With that type of mindset the rules we play by go out the window.

Advisor
hardnox604008

It only takes one well aimed RPG round in Saudi Arabia to send crude above the 2008 highs.

It has never happened, may never, but Saudi Arabia has never had this degree of threat to stability either.

Maybe the Dow can hold 11,000 or so with $100 crude. Can it hold 5000 with $200 crude? I personally doubt it- might get RRs long predicted meeting of the Dow and the price of gold (around 2500? which in his view would be the time to finally sell gold and buy the Dow).

What would corn be worth with a 5000 Dow and $200 crude? I personally don't have a clue but $10 is a problem and so is $3.

fwiw, h

"People of privilege will always risk their complete destruction rather than surrender any material part of their advantage. Intellectual myopia, often called stupidity, is no doubt a reason."

J.K. Galbraith
Senior Contributor
k-289

If crude gets to high--it will mean extremely high costs to run a container vessel half way round the world--exports value will be divisor with the cargo taking the hit

Veteran Advisor
Palouser

I the possibilities being talked about are too extreme. Those pumping oil know that a severe collapse in oil prices would follow. They want to avoid that. As for ocean shipping, it is very efficient and the current over capacity is dropping prices and any shrinking in cargo would push the BDI over the edge and to the bottom.

At this point I think the real consequence of the Middle East situation is way over blown. If the house of Saud crumbles I would be very concerned about stability - though not the current rulers. A move toward democracy coud be a moderate move, though I think the long run  potential is toward more unity against US-Israeli policies of the recent past by the regional norm of autocratic governments, just new people. I hope I'm wrong on all counts.

Senior Contributor
k-289

At several hundred gallon per hour one would want to manage your fuel costs---if one has competive rates and over capacity the last thing the business needs is there most costly operating expense double--transportations largest variable is fuel next to a over capacity environment

Friend
thefarm51140014

Isn't $5.00 gas at the pumps what the current administration wants.  That is what makes the all the green energy ideas cost competitive.  So this is a good thing right?