Agriculture News, Markets, Weather, Ag Talk, Farm Machinery | Agriculture.com
Esteemed Advisor
Hobbyfarmer

300 + CORN

I am not the one that said 300 bu corn but I also did not disagree with the poster that said there would be some. I did say it would be around Holdredge, Neb if it happened. I just found this in my e-mail ....

"There’s a discussion going on over on NAT. They said some reports are that Nebraska is having some of the best irrigated corn ever. NCGA plots around Holdredge coming in at 300 to 315. Maybe your discussion on Ag.com about 300 bu. corn will have Missouri Tiger eating crow."

For those that don't know, the area from just west of Holdredge to Hastings, Neb is one of the two best nearly perfect corn growing areas in the country. The imperfect part of it is the irrigation expense part. My original post said 230bu ave. Guess I was WRONG. 60 to 70bu WRONG. I was too LOW. The other poster that was the 300 bu post was very close to "spot on".  % wise he was in the bulls eye.
60% of the time, it works every time.

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of dung by the clean end."
Veteran Advisor
Mizzou_Tiger

Re: 300 + CORN

This is the kind of stuff that is just plain ignorant......the kind of stuff that just makes me scratch my head and wonder how some even put enough common sense together to get outta bed and not fall down every morning.......

A test plot huh.......that represents a field average????????

FYI........I have seen over 330 dry before in a strip, non irrigated, with nothing special added, just good dirt.......so the concept is nothing new especially with the power of water, actually sometimes I wonder why they don't get 500 with that advantage.......they should actually be ashamed they can't get more with the deck stacked in their favor.......

I have also seen this year 140 to 180 in fields that didn't average 30...........does that mean I saw 140, 180 or 30...........I suppose that farmer, if ever audited for farm history will just show them the plot sheet for this year and he will get a nice 300 for 2012.........

Seriously hobby you are better than that........I think......then again.......
Contributor
werkman53

I really don't get why 300 bushel field averages are so doubtful anymore. We have dryland yields in my area approaching that. I have personally never stood in or had myself a 300 field average, but if I can get over 200 this year on some of my junk ground, I can't doubt it happened somewhere.

I have a good friend that farms just east of the Mississippi on the river bottoms and he had a dryland field go 285 bushel dry last year. I was talking with my seed guy yesterday and he said there was an irrigated 80 acres near Princeton, IL go 283 bushel dry, this year. If you take off the corners it would have been over 300.

I would imagine there are a few guys every year here and there across the midwest doing it, and I doubt its all centered in Nebraska. Lets move on.

Veteran Advisor
Mizzou_Tiger

Ah yes.....if we could just lop the corners off, forget about the potholes and sand hills, and the treelines, and the compacted field entrances, and the terrace channels/back cuts and everything else that drags the national avg down.........we would be 220......unfortunately you would likely lop off about 45M acres........

Farming is a game of averages with ROI driving the books.........
Contributor
werkman53

Someday before I die, I am betting I will have a field of mine go 300, field average. I have a few spots as you describe do well over 300 most every year.

Yes, actual planted acres on that field, because there is a creek running through it, a few trees in the fence lines, and a ole barbed wire fence that I can't plant on top off.

My planted acreage is what I divide by to get my yield. I understood that as common practice. My home farm is 160 acres, but I only plant right around 130 that are tillable. I hope I don't have to divide by 160 to get my true yield.

Veteran Advisor
Mizzou_Tiger

[ Edited ]

lol...........wow you are really reaching just like hobby..........

I am talking about lopping off acres instead the field of production..........I never said anything about using 160 vs 130..........

I am starting to understand why so many had 2010-2012 wrong...........their backyard is the end of the earth.........

heres an idea.........open up google earth, if you dont have it, get it, its fun..........

then zoom into Iowa.......north of I80 maybe around Ames or Boone or something like that..........as you will see more continious fields, makes for an easier example, but whatever.............now at the bottom of google earth is an imagery date.......you can click on that and scroll thru all the images taken from various dates on that area............start with 2009, as images before that are a little more fuzzy...........and scroll thru 2012.........take a hard look......

even in the center of the universe for flat black dirt.........with near perfect corn growing weather..........THERE ARE HOLES..........lots of them depending on the year you are looking at............these are the spots, just like all the other things I mentioned that take a yield monitor siting of 300 and bring it back down to earth with a lower average...........I am not saying there are not really good and consistant pieces of ground out there that we can minimize those effects...........BUT.......

IMO, as the larger guys get larger..........and farm more by averages and ROI............the more stagnant our yields will be............the shear amount of time it would take to understand all those little holes is too much when you are farming by the thousands.........and as you move into fringe acres, those holes are sometime irrepairable, you just have to do the best you can.......

I have asked this question before............is it better that we drag 40-80K pounds thru a field every 40-120ft...........or 14K pounds every 20-30 ft...........think about it..........

Esteemed Advisor
Hobbyfarmer

Werkman: why would you?????

The USDA doesn't even divide by planted acres. If you use the rules they play by you only divide by the best acres, you get to ignore those pot holes, sand knobs, driveway entrances, compacted end rows and grasshopper, deer, and turkey eaten side rows.

BTW: 21 degrees F here this morning, No more green stemed beans in a few days around here.

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of dung by the clean end."
Esteemed Advisor
Hobbyfarmer

MT????????? 

Why Boone or Ames Iowa?????? (the south end of the prairie pot hole region) 

The discussion is about the Holdredge, Ne area .... Maybe you missed that little fact??????????

I know Mizzory is the "show me state" but youre not looking at what we're showing.

Veteran Advisor
Mizzou_Tiger

fine use Holdredge, NE............LMAO.......there are holes there too...........

and my point is proved..........

really.........

o and planted vs harvested................has to do with silage, seed corn, etc............not potholes.........

:smileysurprised:

Contributor
werkman53

Maybe I am off my rocker but facts are facts. All I am saying is that guys are getting close to 300 around here on dryland. Its hit or miss because of weather and hybrid etc, and they certainly are a lot closer to 200 APH year after year then they are 300, but I refuse to believe a spike to 300 is unattainable in a great year. Am I saying that a lot of fields are doing this......definitely not. Maybe a percentage of 1%.

I have no irrigation, corn/bean rotation religously, no-till, less than perfect dirt, it rolls and washes a little if we get a terd floater. A couple clay side hills that yield 0-50 every year. The last 10 years I have owned it my field of corn has ranged from 170-225 on that farm. Beans have been 50-75. Spray it, plant it, spray it, harvest it. Thats it other than 150lb of anhydrous in the spring for my corn. Thats how it pencils out the best for me. Same for a lot of guys around here.

My only argument is that there might be a few fields out there breaking the 300 mark. Maybe they treating that field with kid gloves and pouring insane amounts of inputs into it, but 300*8 is $2400.

I might argue that this current agriculture boom is dragging some farm kids back to the farm, and putting a hex on the BTO's farming every acre. The BTO's are still gobbling up acres, but at least some young folk are coming back and getting in the fight.