Agriculture News, Markets, Weather, Ag Talk, Farm Machinery | Agriculture.com
Veteran Advisor
jennys_mn

6 - 19 Weather Update

Good Morning. 

We had a inch of rain in Cannon Falls this morning, more forecasted on completely saturated ground.   I was listening to KOWZ (yes - it's cows) in my shop last evening and they were talking about all the cancellations because of the flooding.  

The overall thing that struck me about the crops on our trip is that the crops where I went through are all in the same boat - late.  Most of the corn will pollinate at about the same time, and most not until the 2nd or third week in July

Let's take a look at the weather this morning.  Our current Jet Stream:

10 Day forecast of 300 mb winds and heights from the GFS model

Low level, things are still pretty much the same.  This is 9 days from now:

10 Day forecast of 1000 mb (near-surface) temperature and wind from the GFS model

The West bakes, while here in the midwest we continue to have perfect temperatures for crop development. 

Rainfall for the past 7 days looks like this:

Our new drought summary was put out this morning:

Current U.S. Drought Monitor

Obviously, we have made big strides in the Northern Corn Belt.  The next 3 weeks will tell a lot of the story on the crops this year.  Personally, my best crops on the farm were when it was just a little on the dry side.  We haven't heard from ECIN and how the crops in IN are fairing, I suspect they look fairly good.  ECIN, a check in would be good.

There's just nothing threatening weather wise the next 10 days.  The midwest stays nice, with the rain favoring where it has been falling, in the NCB.  And although the SCB probably has some dry pockets, the possibility for continued light showers exist for them also.  The Gulf remains open to the Midwest, continuing to pump moisture into the heartland through the next 10 days.

Our weather systems continue to move.   By next Thursday low level our weather looks like this:

10 Day forecast of surface pressure and precipitation amounts from the GFS model

with High pressure dominating the Central US.  It will give us up North a chance to dry out a bit.  This sytem does not stick around, and moves to the East in the forecasts by next weekend, and a return to some more showers for - you guessed it - the same areas that are drenched now.  Oh well - rain makes grain.

Jen

Esteemed Advisor
Hobbyfarmer

Re: 6 - 19 Weather Update

60% of the time, it works every time.

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of dung by the clean end."
Esteemed Advisor
Hobbyfarmer

I am out and about in southern Iowa and she Nebr crops look good

Not really behind that I can see. Beans are enjoying seeing Sunshine and lots of corn will work on waist high if not already there by end of week.

Corn normally tassel s around 10th of July, little earlier as you go south and looks to be on target again this year.
Can tassel as later as first week of Aug and make corn

Not all is perfect but that isn't counted anyway

Sure is nice to see green in nw Kansas

I hear Maryland has a perfect crop...sell sell sell
60% of the time, it works every time.

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of dung by the clean end."
Veteran Advisor
jennys_mn

We'll yeah, I haven't been to Maryland, and it doesn't look like a trip for this year, or next.

I expected to see crops farther along through NE and S IA. It really was amazing how the crops changed from IA and then crossing into MN.

We saw very few beans planted along I 80. Miles and miles of uninterrupted corn fields. We saw only a few fields of beans where they were starting to bush out, although over the next two weeks I'm sure that will change. Soybeans are such an amazing crop.

One thing for sure, our trees are sure liking the moisture, after being too dry for too many years. It's been raining here most of the morning, and things are about as green as I have ever seen them.

Jen
Advisor
rayjenkins

Jen.......could you expound a bit more about the cancellation comment......

I assume that means farmers are getting out of new crop corn contracts??

If so, how are they being treated on the basis side of the transaction

or are they enough "in the money" on the futures, that they are getting out even and calling it good??

TIA

Ray J

Senior Contributor
JCCWIS

Pretty well saturated soils Cent.  ......West Cent. Wi.. Most 1st crop hay came off last week. Were able too get dry hay in the barn....topdressing on...before the rain.    Life is good!!!   John

Veteran Advisor
jennys_mn

Good Morning Ray - no, these were event cancellations due to the flooding in the area.

Jen
Veteran Advisor
jennys_mn

John - you did get fully planted, right? The neighbors are telling me that the the crops on my former farm look better this year. Of course, they we pretty bad last year.

The fellow next to me here in Cannon Falls cut the hay on the alfalfa field bordering my land while I was gone. The 2nd crop is starting to come, only problem is there are still 20 windrows or so that they didn't get picked up, and by seeing the ruts in the field, my guess is they had to stop because of the damage they were doing to the field. As wet as it is now, they will be lucky to get it chopped back into the field before the 2nd crop grows through it.

Jen
Senior Contributor
JCCWIS

No Jen...did not get "evrything " planted.  FCI PP on 34acres. Just could not see late planted corn or foot tall soybeans being a profitable situation in the Fall !!!   John

Senior Advisor
ECIN

Morning Jen and all , This will be on the crops in my area , haven't had a chance to take a good drive around IN as of late .  For corn - We have some very pretty corn , After the cool and wet start we FINALLY have got what the Doctor order , hot and humid = high 80's and dew points in the upper 60 to low 70's , corn is hitting that N and getting that deep green color . Some in the V-6 to V- 8 stage .

Now for the discalmer - To me on my corn - it's close collared - the reason that corn has a close collor is from stress = cold and wet , Second is that the other day = Wedesday - when the heat kicked in good - corn was starting to roll some = shollow roots from ??? cool and wet .  Three -- We have had a TON of rain since planting - the big qestion asked is -- how much N has been lost - good question but hard to answer . Four -  Most fields do have some kind of water damage or drowned out spots in them , it's had for us to set any kind of record with missing acres = records are NOT going to happen in my area .

Four - For what ever reason - all corn on corn acres are a train wreck ! uneven , yellow , it's hurting  

Beans ?? most look like chit !- Sorry for the bad word , but thats the truth and that the word that fits them best .

Alot of replant on beans this spring - too much rain in areas , frost , disease problems , and chemical damage .

They are starting to take off some , I just hope mine get tall enough to cut and get them in the head .

Well Jen - There's your East Central Indiana report , lol

BTW  Weds night -- Man what a strom we had -  Had a inch in 15 minutes with 60+ mph wind - some trees came down , but thats about it - Yesterday more azz pounders , but North of me ---- For ONCE -