Senior Advisor

A New Ridiculous Proposal

Did you see the ridiculous article from Harwood Schaffer and Daryl Ray at the Ag Policy Analysis Center? Advocating a return to supply management? Only they are smarter than all who have gone before, they would do it where the farmer bid in the land to set-aside. Cripe, why not just call it welfare for land that should not be row cropped in the first place. Not surprising they are from TN, a land that would get lots of set-aside subsidy money.

They want to set loan rate at 95% of the national Cost of Production (who the heck could figure that out fairly!) They are using $4.40 for this number roughly. Nice if you can get it! Next, they  would have the government just hold grain off the market until it rallied to 175% of that loan rate, or roughly $7.70. 

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Honored Advisor

Re: A New Ridiculous Proposal

There`s lacking a couple ingredients "this time"  we ain`t got the money and there isn`t the public support.  The snowflakes see the farmers planting with $1/2 million in machinery flying through the field @ 10mph and wouldn`t want to help them only to have their own grocery bills go up (remember the fit they had about ethanol $7 corn) ...well, now I put it that way, I wouldn`t even be for a juicy supply management program.  Let us all go broke damn it!   Smiley Happy 

Honored Advisor

Who would think of that and who doesn't know we don't have the money.....????

Two groups I can think of ......... Those giving it out and those who want it..

But I am not sure about the public support.... think about this BA... If it were needed to save food stamps.   wouldn't that be a turn of events?

Smiley Happy

The melding of a set aside program and CRP --- didn't take a lot of thought to come up with that one.

Honored Advisor

Time they are not smarter than the others that tried it ...........

Public programming works every time it is tried for those who live above the common.

Sounds like a foolish mess..... But then that 10 year crp program is still going after 32 years.  So anything is possible and jobs preservation  always "trumps" 20 Trillion in debt..

Honored Advisor

It seems to me that any farm program eventually gets capitalized into land expense, if you own land and farm it or own land and rent it out, whoever plants that seed is basically the "money launderer" for the person whose name is on the deed.  That is all okay with me Smiley Happy but I have to be honest about it and there are some that own more land than me and I`m jealous of them  Smiley Happy

But if you want a production cutting program and not only not cost a dime but save the government money, I`d say "cut it all" close the FSA offices, no ARC/ PLC, no crop insurance subsidies, no FHA loans, no bin building loans...no nothin`.  That way some land that floods out 3 yrs out of 5, no one would touch it and it would go back to waterfowl, with insurance there`s always a "greater fool" willing to tackle it, heck of it is, some of this fringe ground has been producing pretty darned well.  And that`s why we have the carryover surpluses.

Esteemed Advisor

At some point, mother nature will set aside the land........you can bank on that.

Veteran Advisor

Winds blowing at 35 mph so can't do much, then a frost/freeze tonight......so maybe some of the wheat will be harvested tonight ?

So might as well cause some trouble here.

The farm program....we need to somehow modify things.  I say modify since right now in Disneyland east, that "thought process"

has a better chance of passing than a whole rewrite..........remember ACA ???

it is painfully obvious that something needs to be done....but the interesting thing is, as bad as things are (and yes they are bad)

not much money is being spent on the ARC program........PLC different story, but very few took PLC.....so the truth is that

with things bad, the program to help with such things, none has been triggered, so basicly, a lot of money that was budgeted

is not being used.....someone back east is going to figure that out, and take a budget trimming knife to it, saying "it isn't being

used"...we need to modify the formula's so they kick in better...or sooner.  part of the problem is that basis needs to be

figured in on the triggered price.

we also need to keep crop insurance. want to see that amount paid doubled ?

exports are also key.

we have become too smart for ourselves.......just look at the advances in the last 15 years....the honest truth is that we

can produce more food.  I remember being told we must produce more due to the increasing population, I remember seeing

charts that showed we would run out of food.

companys got in the business, because of profit, and developed biger and better.

we are approaching the point, if we used advanced things such as hydroponics......we could really cut down on the acres need.

so somehow we have to figure out a way to balance this......with the least pain to all.

this is a bit "out there"......but remember how we were told about how much food is needed......we don't "really" need it here.....yes,

we have people needing food here in the USA.......but if you look at the poor countries, people, children, dying every minute, every

day, due to the lack of food......I will go out on a limb when I say this, but you know trump was soo upset seeing the babys suffering

the effect of gas.....what about those baby dying from the lack of food.......and add in the season (easter).......one has to think

about that....what would make the most economic impact and make us a better world ?

we used to have an aid program that bought the products and then paid to have it shipped.

just for grins......imagine if we had a "food program"........if a country was in need.......we would supply food.......wheat flour, corn meal,

soy oil or soy protein (textured veg protein)....we would have in in bags/packages, etc, plastered with the American flag......

not only could we use this to help our ag economy.........but general economy by providing jobs......and helping those in need,

and if you "break bread" with someone.......they may view you in a different light.....and maybe become a friend or ally in the future,

and we need all the friends we can get...and lastly doing what we are told to do in the bible.....helping our fellow man.

granted, hurdles to get over, such as culture difference in the food, but that could be got around...if hungry, it is a matter of education.

True, there could be problems........some countries would use the food in political ways, and local "politicians", would take advantage

of situations.....but the people would get the point, and would understand......America has not forgot us, they offer us food...food

is a basic item.....if you are hungry, and this food comes, you will be thankful for the food, and to those who give it to you......

now, you need to link that with another program so they can stand on their own........which.....in the long range could hurt us, since

less export demand if they can feed themselves.....and the use of hydroponics and other newer technology.......they would be

better off.

Veteran Advisor

Just thinking of the "feeding the hungry" programs -- haven't we had those for many years? The countries that need it the most seem to be able to afford buying it the least, unless given to them.  And, it seems it's been mostly the same countries in need for several decades, countries run by wealthy elite, often with seemingly rampant corruption, leaders and those with connections living the good life while everyone else suffers, including the abuse of charitable donations of $$$ and food.  Still, if those countries can't afford to buy what they need, giving them food remains a use of our surplus.  On the other hand, a better use might be some well-stocked supplies of food and feed, well-marked as to where it came from, and shipped to needed safety zones for desperate people in "friendly" safe-zone areas of Iraq, Syria, etc., and/or ready-to-ship to other areas of great short-term need due to natural disasters, etc.  Still, am thinking we likely do much of that already, and the starving children we've seen on TV for over 50 years always seem to be in the same places.

Honored Advisor

Even grain dropped into war zones ----------- could be poisoned by their own supporters to make the enemy look guilty.

Hunger is seldom a food issue....

Advisor

The melding of a set aside program and CRP --- didn't take a lot of thought to come up with that one.

That was my thought as well.  Sounds just like the CRP program