Ag Talk | Agriculture.com
Senior Advisor
Hobbyfarmer

A few more

100_0433.JPG

Very typical of a last years corn field ... Many were fall ripped or worked once and then nothing, too wet since spring warmup.

100_0476.JPG

Just a neat picture

100_0475.JPG

Two barren fields with an ethanol plant in the back ground "steaming" .

100_0424.JPG

Going to have to hurry to get to knee high by the fourth of July in this sq mile area.

Does the old saying "knee high by the 4th of July" hold true up by the Minnesota border and beyond?

60% of the time, it works every time.

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of dung by the clean end."
Veteran Advisor
ECIN

Re: A few more

Oh come on here Hobby -- when did you take them pictures? early April ?  Them look like snow clouds - heck one even has sleet comeing down .

He11 even I know that corn in Iowa this time of the year is at least knee high -- good try -- :smileywink:

Veteran Advisor
BA Deere

Hey Hobby is there anything like that where you`re at?  A friend went down to a bull sale around Indianola a wk or 2 ago and said things looked good down there. That bean stubble in the your picture is $13,000+ land, just like having a car with 600hp and bald tires on ice.

The worm is strating to turn with traders, Greg Hunt on USFR is waking up http://www.agweb.com/usfr/      My Son isn`t here so I can`t post my own pictures but here`s some pix from the other site http://talk.newagtalk.com/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=395744&mid=3146108#M3146108 

Senior Contributor
Canuck_2

[ Edited ]

Hooby said;

Does the old saying "knee high by the 4th of July" hold true up by the Minnesota border and beyond?

I don't know about Minnesota but when you cross the border we say 'knee high by the 1st of July'

Probably because we celebrate Canada Day on the first of July.

Nice pictures.

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
Senior Advisor
Hobbyfarmer

Unplanted acres?

Yep, 4 different neighbors on fields that join me on three sides , and me with most of the beans to either replant or plant the first time.

% wise it gets much worse as you get north of hwy 44 in central Iowa.

SW Iowa appears to be the garden spot again this year. West of Creston and south of I 80.

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of dung by the clean end."
Senior Advisor
Hobbyfarmer

All the talk is about corn BUT the bean thing may be a bigger story shortly. It's still raining and they are the crop that isn't very well represented of the planting done %'s . The forecast for  I 80 and north is rain every 3rd day this next 10 days.

That's the 20th and the beginning of the end of the line for them too. The livestock people are not in a good position for the starch or protien they need.

Veteran Advisor
Shaggy98

I'm almost knee high by June 10th, but I'm sure it won't last. Extreme heat and winds are forecasted for this week. Could be interesting on the winter wheat crop. Well see if all the late freezes weakened the stems if this wind begins to blow 40-50 the next couple days.
Senior Contributor
Longcreekfarms

Seems we are on the same parallel Shaggy. Just the clouds hit me different over here. 39" average rainfall. The saying my grandfather always chimed in was "a horses back by the 4th of July. My April 15th corn is at 30" and getting the 3rd inch of rain in a week as I write. Finished corn on 4-25 and went right into beans. They are looking good at about 8" tall. Soft Red wheat is starting to turn and just a little went down where I overlapped the sprayer boom in a corner.
Veteran Advisor
Shaggy98

3 inches in a single week, Dude what do you drop in the plate on Sunday? Pics would be wonderful if you've got the time. Glad things are going well.
Senior Contributor
Longcreekfarms

I'll see what I can do on the pics. Still haven't found a way from this iPhone, but I'm sure the wife knows how to put them on a computer. Today's rain is still out of that tropical storm that's been sliding up the coast.