Senior Contributor
Wind

Another Kansas snow storm

It looks like the Kansas wheat crop will get another "burst" of moisture from "yet another" snow storm.

I know June is a long way off, but it sure looks like a very good wheat crop shaping up?  Is it too early to tell if any "Winter kill" in your fields?  Is the calving about done?  Late Winter or early Spring snow storms can really be stuff on them.

Take care.

Wind

http://forecast.weather.gov/showsigwx.php?warnzone=KSZ045&warncounty=KSC135&firewxzone=KSZ045&local_...

Senior Contributor
clayton58

Re: Another Kansas snow storm

Sunny and 50 ish here in Sw KS. Storm is still in the forecast but they are backing off on the chances. We did not have enough moisture to finish real well last year and it looks like less soil moisture this year. But we still have time
Veteran Advisor
Shaggy98

Yes Wind, I once again am in the forecasted path of this storm.  Since I got my oats seeded last night, I will welcome every inch of snow we can accumulate from it.  The ground is anywhere between upper 30'sF to upper 40'sF in temps, so any accumulation went last long.  It will a nice timed storm since most have their wheat top dressing operations at or near completion.  As for the winter kill, speaking for myself only, I am in pretty good shape, but I was fortunate enough to get my wheat seeded early last fall which resulted in early growth heading into the dormancy period.  Their is a lot of late planted winter wheat that is just now beginning to emerge, stands look thin, but that can change if we are able to get an inch or so of moisture out of this system.  I'm 100% no-till, but I heard a few of the conventional tillers complaining about winter kill since they had near 0 moisture last fall at seeding time.  Not sure if they've actually scouted their crops and discovered this, or if they are just assuming it is winter kill since it is so late to emerge.

I posted a few pics of some of my winter wheat down in the crop forum.  Those pics were taken on March 15.  I was going to take a few more and post them today, but I doubt if I'll get it done.  Probably just skip the pics this week and start again next Friday after our snow melts (if we get any).

Veteran Advisor
Shaggy98

Hobby, I bet your NWKS farm is receiving some nice snow. TV stations are reporting that Goodland already has in excess of 13" on the ground.
Esteemed Advisor
Hobbyfarmer

I am just south of Stockton right now. Not much to bust a drought Here yet.

When Goodland had that, my slice only had 4 in.
60% of the time, it works every time.

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of dung by the clean end."
Veteran Advisor
Shaggy98

Just starting to come down here along the Rush/Barton County line.  We might end up with a couple inches according to the way the radar is looking.  Not as much as we would like, but we'll welcome everything we are given.

Frequent Contributor
ag-?

Where are we with Kansas wheat crop way you are reporting its going to be okay to last condition report said that 35% was poor to very poor. I know wheat has nine lives but moisture you have received in snow should help start out the crop but amount of moisture to make a good crop is going to need to happen in next month. If you repeat like last year and it starts warming up and rains become spotty will this snow be enough to make a crop or not.

I have a feeling when we shift back to summer pattern were going to experience building heat again and another dry summer. The coar area of this drought is still in place so far and this will be building block again for heat and dryness at least this has been pattern last several years and it expands out over the summer. Also it appears were going to have late winter and later than ususal start to spring pushing this year crop back into summer where heat can really develop. It will be interesting summer see if drought continues or we see reversal into more wetter pattern.

Veteran Advisor
Shaggy98

Kansas has varying conditions across the state.  One area might be looking good, while another area continues to struggle.  I'm located in Central Kansas, and were not looking to bad.  The earliest planted wheat last fall is the crop that looks like it is showing the best signs at this point.  But like you said, wheat is an interesting crop.  It might look like hell today, but give it a 2" drink and check it over again in a couple of weeks.  When we get into the month of May, we will be able to tell the acres that are decent vs. those that are just hanging on.

Senior Contributor
Wind

Looks like the storm is not as strong as first forecast.  Anyway, thankful for every flake. Looks like my Lane Co. land is catching a little  snow, maybe 1 to 2 inches.

Take care.

Wind

Veteran Advisor
Shaggy98

Bright sun shiny morning here in Central Kansas. What a difference 8-10 hours can make. Received about 3" I would guess, the wind was so strong it's kinda hard to tell.