Ag Talk | Agriculture.com
Veteran Advisor
ECIN

Any Bets here ?

So my friends --any takers that  by spring will we be posting how wet it is and don't how we will get in the fields to plant , lol

remeber what they say -- one extreme follow's another .

BTW I read that this winter will be above on temps AND ---- above pricp . Wonder if Elwynn read that one ?

Senior Advisor
Hobbyfarmer

Re: Any Bets here ?

For the guy's west of the Missouri river I will not bet on enough rain. As for us east of the river it is too soon for the ole woe is us tune to be played. Pretty easy for us to get caught up with a wet spring.

We usually have as much run off as soak in most springs here in South Podunk Country so even slightly over half of normal Feb, March and April moisture for us will have many tile lines running. It is July and Aug that are the problems here.

60% of the time, it works every time.

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of dung by the clean end."
Senior Advisor
Hobbyfarmer

[ Edited ]

ECIN; as you're lounging by the pool today working on your tan

Here is a picture to get you in the winter mood... (remember it is still fall for another 2 1/2 weeks, enjoy it while it lasts)

Iceland July 2012 1107.JPGIceland July 2012 1193.JPG

First pict is of an glacier flow right down to field level,  second one is one right down to the highway, July picts.

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of dung by the clean end."
Senior Contributor
JCCWIS

ECIN : Up here in the "Great North " We always say "if it gets too wet or cold....won't be long before its too dry or hot ".    So , being as we are dry now , in the next two months we should get wet and cold and then by mid to late April should be just right for planting !!! Thats the plan I'm going with !!!! lol John

Senior Contributor
JCCWIS

H Re: Any Bets here ?

Hobby ? Those pics from Alaska??? Wife and I are headed out Aug. 13....train to Seattle.....boat up to Alaska. Part of the "Bucket list " lol   John

Senior Advisor
Hobbyfarmer

Re: H Re: Any Bets here ?

Nope, Iceland last July, south side of the island.

Have fun, Alaska is on my list too.

Beautiful day here ... can't ever remember needing to mow grass in Dec ... might this year at this rate.

Veteran Advisor
ECIN

Re: H Re: Any Bets here ?

Dang that looks COLD -- even the round bales turned White !!!  know thats cold to freeze them up !

BTW John that sounds like a great trip !

Community Manager
John_Walter

Old weather proverbs

[ Edited ]

Some of these old saws, assembled by Dr. George Freier, seem relevant, in that meteorology has a way of coming back to patterns that farmers have observed forever: 

If October and November be snow and frost, the January and February are likely to be open and mild.

As September, so the coming of March

A warm January, a cold May

Wrote a piece about this a while back, for what it's worth: Look around you for a weather forecast

John

Senior Advisor
Hobbyfarmer

Re: Old weather proverbs

The old timers around here said to look at the squirrels nests in the trees.

Small ones mild winter, large ones ..Time to go to Arizona for the winter.

This year they a very small. (I think they probably got heat stroke and had to quit last summer)

Veteran Advisor
ECIN

Re: Old weather proverbs

This is of more a nature deal , but about last 10 years ago  , we started to  have Sand Hill Cranes fly over -- headed South , sometimes they over night here in bean fields , but anyway when you see them going south bound you can bet cold weather is sure to follow .

Last week seen 2 small flocks -- thats it , the rest should be comeing shortly , cold air is comeing .

BTW - Thanks John -- good read !