Agriculture News, Markets, Weather, Ag Talk, Farm Machinery | Agriculture.com
Veteran Advisor
Shaggy98

Any Rain

Received .4" rain Saturday afternoon in central Kansas, very isolated and wide spread not the drought buster we're all hoping for.  Anyone in the corn belt get any significant moisture to carry them on or buy time so to speak?  Could set up for an interesting market week ahead.

Veteran Advisor
Nebrfarmr

Re: Any Rain

The only 'rain' I got was under the pivot, and even then, this week, it involved rolling 2 flat tires out of the field (through the only mud around) and wheeling in 2 fixed ones.  Glad I have a 'spare' as I was only down a half a day total.  I ran the flat to town to get fixed (took a new tire, of course) and wasn't home 2 hours, when the pivot quit again.

Friday, was hot and dry, and seems to be the day that things went downhill the most.  There were dry patches here and there, but Friday, it seems like a lot of dryland corn turned gray, all at once, which tells me we are running out of subsoil moisture.

Veteran Contributor
toughguy189

if you take a small chain and run it through the hole in the rim and around the tire then bolt it, the chain will keep the tire on the wheel until the pivot gets around to your road where it is easier to get your new tire into it.

Esteemed Advisor
sw363535

Toughguy,

Unless a gearbx failure was the reason for the flat!!!   That's my luck...      :smileyhappy:

sw
Veteran Contributor
Jed Stivers

I take the truck or if it's to muddy the backhoe and air compressor to it. Leave the air running on whichever one I have out there. A corn field in AR in July is a special little piece of hell. Usually have to do gearboxes or flats by myself. When I do take someone I have to watch who I take because most can't take it.
Veteran Contributor
toughguy189

gearboxes are extra fun...atleast the pivot is no more than a quarter mile from the end of the field, but that is still an aweful long way to carry those heavy bastards!
Senior Contributor
arnfarm735

A couple guys in our area have old JD highboy sprayers that they use to drive down through the corn to get to a flat or bad gear box. You should be able to do that by coming in on the dry side of the pivot.  Of course they have a lot of pivots and can spread the cost over all the pivots. Seems like something neighbors could go together on.

Dads know a lot, but
Grandpas know everything
Esteemed Advisor
sw363535

We still use a little motorized "mule" that fits between the rows, but there are several of those old sprayer rigs being tried around.  We are watching a couple for future ideas.  Be careful guys, it is a nasty job and worse when it's hot, Never to be done alone in the heat if you have a choice.  "Bull headed" can turn to heat stroke real quick.  

sw
Advisor
nwobcw

I had 1.1" out of 4 seperate rain events last week.  Temps hit 100 or more 3 days.  Corn planted May 4-6 is tasseling.  Bad damaging storms hit both east and west of me last week.  Some are still w/o power.  Toledo Ohio area.  We're getting just enough in these little shots of moisture to keep things green in the field.  The funny thing is that all lawns look awful and dried up.

Advisor
idalivered

My daughter that lives in cincinnatti said they are receiving heavyrain (sunday afternoon). I've always said that we have no idea what crappy work is like the guys that irrigate! Supposedly I live where it rains. We bury alot of tile, but then it's done for a couple generations. To all the irrigators out there, you have my admiration and respect. I'm not worthy!