Advisor

Are Markets, Weather Right For Corn Planting

It's time, according to the calendar. But, does your grain marketing plan call for planting corn?

Full story about Iowa corn planting:  Iowa: Ready- Set, Go Plant Corn

Mike

Advisor

Re: Are Markets, Weather Right For Corn Planting

There is a lot of fieldwork going on today as soils dry up and warm up.  NH3 going on.  Dry fertilizer.  Field cultivation.  I haven' t seen a planter rolling yet, but have seen them getting ready.

Senior Contributor

Nothing up here still water in the fields with rain next two days. I like the picture on the home page of a planter planting soybeans in corn stalks with the headline corn planting on pace idiots at least post an accurate pic. Lol🤔
Advisor

Illinifarmer,

So, reaching 8% complete on corn planting this Sunday, as a nation, may not happen?

Mike

Frequent Contributor

It's wet this week, so I don't think there will be any one moving for a few days around here.  Especially with rain forecast on Friday, Saturday.  I did see a few guys planting corn last Friday and Saturday though.

Senior Contributor

Lots activity in the fields around here including planting corn.  I "field cultivated" some chiseled corn ground and it was very mellow.  No wet spots here. We do have a wet forecast going forward but above normal temps.  That is paramount.  Still lots of corn on corn around here.  My guess is that the switch to more beans is not as big as predicted.

Some of the activity while working ground was watching hawks "dive-bomb" field mice.  They scored some hits!!

Esteemed Advisor

The ground is usually fit around here two days after my neighbor starts.........He hasn't started yet.  So I'm at least three days from getting started.  Smiley Wink

Senior Contributor

Yep, the "old timers" use to say, "don't plant corn till the leafs on the walnut trees are as big as a squirrel's ear."  That would be weeks down the road here.

I'm going to wait tell the rain settles before I plant.  Had a Great Uncle that said, " when others  run, you walk, and when others walk, you run." 

Be vigilant Tiger, your neighbor might just be waiting on you to start. Smiley Surprised

Senior Contributor

As a nation 8% by Monday perhaps..come October let me know how that 8% carries vs. the 92% that's later. Soil temp is so crucial on stress for corn. Had fields up in 4 days some took 3 weeks. Through experience you learn usually the hard way. 20+ bu differences in some cases. Everyone wants to get going just like them neighbors we see every year planting flowers in March.?. Notice how you always see them doing it again in May.🙄
Advisor

I agree that corn needs a good start, but all things being equal early corn beats late corn every time.  It's a trick to get it in as early as possible without pushing the risk too much.  Mid-late April works pretty well around here.

I got my dry fertilizer on today but because of this and that probably won't be able to plant until next week.