Agriculture News, Markets, Weather, Ag Talk, Farm Machinery | Agriculture.com
Senior Advisor
kraft-t

Are You praying for rain?

The lord will answer your prayers but the answer may be no.

Veteran Contributor
67guy

Re: Are You praying for rain?

Yes. I don't include it in my prayers every night but I do throw it in there a few times a week. God know we need rain and he must have a plan, so I don't bother him with it day after day.
Contributor
Farmer Deere

The Bible says "He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous" (Matthew Chapter 6).  So this is a form of "common grace" as it's known.  He also promises to hear the prayers of his children for this and many other specific matters (Matthew Chapter 7), but you are correct in that he reserves the right to answer yes or no.  Unfortunately not everyone is a child of God and granted the ear of the Father.  Though the privilege is offered to all, many(most) refuse.  (Matthew 7 again)  The real question for all of us isn't whether or not we're praying for rain, but are we true children of the Father through the Son Jesus Christ so that we even have the privilege of being heard.

Veteran Advisor
BA Deere

Keep in mind Don, if we get rain we might have $2 corn this fall, so one needs to understand you might get what you want but not want what you get. I haven't sold any new corn, i'm heavy on RA insurance and i'd sure like $6 off the combine. $6 wouldn't break anyone and the crop wouldn't be a disaster (149 bu avg?). I want $6.
We shouldn`t have to light a candle to see the Sun.
Senior Advisor
kraft-t

You do know you might have to pay some taxes and one of those darn gubberment workers might get part of it?

Esteemed Advisor
Hobbyfarmer

This is supposedly from southern Indiana

60% of the time, it works every time.

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of dung by the clean end."
Veteran Contributor
ncil

Nope in NC IL we are dry - but the only thing I pary for every year is a mile wide hail storm about 3 inches deep on the 4th of july considering insurance and all.

Senior Contributor
Blacksandfarmer

Hobbyfarmer there are fields around here that are starting to look like that. Your picture would be the worst I have seen this year. Here in the Eastern cornbelt we got way to much rain early last year followed by drought, and this year we are starting with drought.... Hopefully things reverse and turn wet. After this weekends 90 degree heat Im afraid we will have many fields that look this bad.

Esteemed Advisor
Hobbyfarmer

I "lifted' that picture from another web site. Several posters from there claimed to have as bad or worse than that, but NO pictures.

I'm in the lap land between SW and SC Iowa and have small crops but still a few damp spots this evening left from 3 days ago rain.

60% of the time, it works every time.

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of dung by the clean end."
Veteran Advisor
Nebrfarmr

The pic you posted, would be about equal to the worst corn I have seen here, except here, it isn't that far along.

Mostly, it is curling on the thin soils, or high spots.

The stuff under the pivots, looks real good, but people are burning about $12-$15 in fuel per acre per inch to water it.

Furrow irrigated corn, still too small to ridge, except for a field here and there. 
There is a chance for rain tonight, tomorrow, and tomorrow night.  If we don't get it, it isn't supposed to rain for 5 days, which will cut dryland yields significantly.