Honored Advisor

Argentina North

Very little harvested in sw Iowa, 

Went on parts run yesterday afternoon to Hamburg Iowa, saw three combines running, 110 miles trip each way. Very few acres harvested. 

Hit the rain 15 miles from Hamburg going, ran out of it just 40 miles from home on the return.

Met friends at Podunk for supper of the best steaks she's put out yet. Storm hit at eight, rained buckets there, got soaked just running to vehicle at 8:30. Torrential rain for first eight miles toward home. Glad it didn't quite do that here.

Flood warning for there right now.

Dumped .79 when we got home, just dumped another 1.46 few minutes ago, 

Checked one of my fields on the bottoms day before yesterday, some water standing then, very poor stalk quality, some ear mold, now this. This time of year would take two weeks of perfect weather before it'd hold up a combine now.

Tropical conditions since July 2nd, if this continues school will be held all next summer because the snow will be 15 feet deep on the level this winter.

OH JOY...

Veteran Contributor

Re: Argentina North

Tell me about it! we have been wet since june and have 800 acres of wheat left! August was wet but had a few strecths of nice weather to get crop out but september has been brutal! no more than 2-3 days of nice followed by rain! fields too wet to hold combines or grain carts! had anothe 1.25" yesterday again! im in NEND! bean harvest is trying to get going! have never seen the fields so wet

Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

Sounds like you fellows need one of my el cheapo manufacturing hovercraft combines !!
Senior Advisor

Well it ain't  much better here in New Louisiana fellows - Just thinking about going out to work and your ringing wet with sweat , Then the other day on Channel 13 - Your News leader For Central Indiana  , was reporting a Trooper found a 2 foot gator along 465 - think south bound lane ! Dang things are walking in !  First it was Black Bears from Michigan - but it got to hot for them and they went back Nort .  Next time it floods us like it did them ole boys up North - we'll have them dam fish that can eat yeah from South America !  What are they called ? Pie- Annie's - or something like that , anyway -Montana is looking better all the time - make that Northern Montana - Heck International Falls may be a good place  to move to !

Honored Advisor

Did an afternoon and evening driveabout into north central Iowa yesterday.

Saw potholes full of water, rivers full to overfull. Very little harvested on east side of. I 35, just a start on the west side of I35..

In my highway speed yield estimation, the beans are a better yield % wise of average than the corn will be.

Nice weather week coming, three days and harvest will be started again.

At the risk of someone's rath very ,very small amount of crop lost to flooding.

Was surprised at amount of green corn fields we saw. All had white shucks though.

Advisor

We had a real nice rally off of the Argentina harvest mess. Have you considered what "Argentina North" could do to the October markets?

Anybody changing up their grain marketing plans?

Mike

Senior Advisor

Well for me - I brought  stock in -- Mud Hog Drive Lines for combines - May add a postion with a - "Tracks " company  too : )

Changed forecast here - Chance of Rain Weds threw next Moday -  An inch last night and this morning .

Advisor

It isn't just the damage done from the rains last week that left standing water everywhere

it is that this last batch came after 6 to 8 weeks of wet weather.

Multiple weeks of wet weather have led to a significant amount of disease in our area that has left

bean stems weakened.  The heavy rain & wind last week laid some of these beans on the ground.

I'm guessing most are too mature or weak to stand back up after drying out.

Honored Advisor

Saw no beans like what you described But did not get north of hwy 3 in Iowa. Saw beans that had been more than four foot tall that either leaned or had settled  

Corn was  still KING this year acre wise. One of the E plants we went by we were on the down wind side, smelled inviting.