Agriculture News, Markets, Weather, Ag Talk, Farm Machinery | Agriculture.com
Community Manager
Jeff_a_Caldwell

B-Team back in

[ Edited ]

Here are a few shots of those little beans I was talking about earlier. And yes, I took these yesterday, even though they look like they should've been taken a month or so ago...

Just blooming...

Fairly even, but short and thin.

Trying to be smart here and show my leg (didn't have a Marketeye signature golf club or beer can handy, unfortunately) in relation to the beans. Barely knee-high. 

Man, I go out to visit a few farms and leave the markets desk yesterday afternoon and look what happens! Ha! Well, I'm back in and it looks like we are turning mixed, with corn back in the black. Sounds like bargain-hunters are behind the rebound. 

I thought it was a little nuts to hear that a "positive crop weather outlook" was behind yesterday's downturn in prices. I was out south and west of Des Moines yesterday (I've got a few pics to post here shortly), and things just don't look too great. Walked through a bean field that was knee-high and blooming. A few pods hanging on there, but nothing in them. Beans are way, way behind. One farmer I talked to wasn't too optimistic. Okay, that's putting it politely. He's super-worried that even a frost in the normal timeframe is going to ravage his beans. The corn in the same area was pretty uneven and also looked a ways behind. It's funny -- some fields look great from the road, but when you walk in, you see the truth. 

How does this compare to your neck of the woods? 

-----------------------------------------------
Jeff Caldwell
Agriculture.com Multimedia Editor
Veteran Advisor
Shaggy98

Re: B-Team back in

Corn and beans are hit and miss, but milo is full steam ahead in Central Kansas.
Senior Advisor
Jim Meade / Iowa City

Ravaged?  Not ravaged!  Say it ain't so, Jeff.  My god, my beans.  I'd had such hopes and now they're ravaged.  Mother!  Mother!  The beans are ravaged.  What are we to do?

I love it.  A good laugh makes even the markets look better.

Veteran Contributor
mnvtfarm

Sounds like you were at my place.

Community Manager
Jeff_a_Caldwell

Shaggster, I talked to my pop last night and he said their milo is in the same boat as the beans around here -- it could really get slapped by a normal-timed frost, let alone an early one. 

Jeff Caldwell
Agriculture.com Multimedia Editor
Veteran Contributor
Mike central IA

I am North and East of Des Moines 30 miles, and your description pretty well sums things up around here as well. Our soybeans SHOULD be between hip and shoulder high by now and canopied, but a week ago we were driving through with the sprayer and not doing any damage. Way, way behind where we should be. Very few pods and little scrubby plants. There doesn't seem to be much hope of shading the row middles, and the waterhemp just keeps coming. Our corn isn't looking too bad-considering the foot of snow it endured in May, the late planting and drowned out places, but now we can't get a rain no matter how much we beg. It has been more than a month since we had a decent rain. Maybe a tenth or two a couple of times, but this crop needs inches of rain at this point to fill kernals. (not all at once, though) With poor root development earlier, it just can't go looking for the subsoil moisture that may or may not be there. We will still have plenty of reason to run the combine through the fields this fall, er, winter, but don't be expecting us to bring the yields up to trendline too much. I really don't have to travel very far to find prevented planting acres around here, either. Personally, I hope a lot of traders get caught with their pants down on this one when the combines do start rolling. Maybe then they won't be so gullible in the future when the bears show up.

Senior Advisor
Jim Meade / Iowa City

I keep telling my wife this is 2005 all over again.  The rest of the world is growing good corn so prices will be low but we are not so yield will be low.  Result, a low income year coming.  This is southern Illinois and SE Iowa from 2005.  Just because our crops are  poor doesn't mean everyone elses are.

Veteran Contributor
mnvtfarm

Jeesh Jim, now I really feel sad. I still had hope till just now. :smileysad:

Veteran Advisor
Shaggy98

Really Jeff, unless we get a freeze in August I'm gonna be in good shape. Did your family get planted late waiting for a rain? I finished planting milo the first week of June but that variety was an early maturing milo. As long as we get normal weather we will have mounds of milo all over this country, but then again what is normal? Farming in the "New Indiana".
Esteemed Advisor
sw363535

Jeff the opportunist ----------------- Thinking of a political carreer??

sw