Community Manager
Jeff_a_Caldwell

B-Team weather talk Friday, April 19

[ Edited ]

Check this out: This is looking off the back porch onto a golf course at a friend of mine's house up in New Prague, MN. Shouldn't we be closer to waterskiing than cross-country skiing?!

------------------------------

326%. That's the percentage of normal precipitation Cedar Rapids, Iowa, has received over the last 30 days. That's just one of the major anomalies we've seen in the Plains and Corn Belt. Talked to some family out in NWKS yesterday, and they had to dig out the snow shovels again out there. 

Shaggy, how's the wheat looking this morning? Think it'll survive last night's temps? Man, that crop's got 9 lives this year, doesn't it? 

Corn's in the black, but beans and wheat are in the red. So, which side of the soil recharge/planting delays story will traders trade today? 

-----------------------------------------------
Jeff Caldwell
Agriculture.com Multimedia Editor
Community Manager
Jeff_a_Caldwell

Re: B-Team weather talk Friday, April 19

Looks like we've got our answer...from the newswire:

DJ U.S. Corn Futures Rise On Continued Planting-Delay Worries
Owen Fletcher - DJ - 12 mins ago

--U.S. corn futures rises on continued concerns about Midwest planting delays

--Corn stabilizes after falling near bottom end of the week's trading range

--Prices also supported by expectations for partial Mississippi River closure amid flooding

CHICAGO--U.S. corn futures are trading higher Friday morning, staying within their trading range for the week as traders remain concerned about planting delays in the Midwest.

Jeff Caldwell
Agriculture.com Multimedia Editor
Advisor
giolucas

I would have thought that corn and wheat would have gotten more strength on the upside.   See it coming soon. 

Veteran Advisor
Shaggy98

Locally I'm remaining optimistic, we went mid to upper 20's vs. mid to lower 20's last night. As the old saying goes, "Time Will Tell". Lots of wind & sunshine here today so I'd imagine in a couple days we'll see planters rolling for those planning corn acres.
Advisor
c-x-1

wheat & beans catching pretty good bid today---------------Corn K/N has got some good up pressure on it w/ Dec leading on plant worries------------May shouldn't be too far behind.

Senior Contributor
Blacksandfarmer

Jeff, Im not thinking about loss yield potential as much as acres that wont be planted. It was snowing here an hour ago and Im on the Michigan/Indiana line. I have never seen it snow this late into April. My prediction of the 2013 corn growing season is at least 3 million less corn acres than USDA predicted a month ago. Next weeks rain and snow front will seal the coffin for much corn getting planted in ND.

Advisor
Red Steele

Just remember that in 8 weeks , the days start getting shorter.

"Peace on earth would mean the end of civilization as we know it" Joseph Heller
Frequent Contributor
DKIL

Wait, N. Dakota is suppose to be the new corn belt?  and at a usda 160+ yield..................................................