Agriculture News, Markets, Weather, Ag Talk, Farm Machinery | Agriculture.com
Advisor
hardnox604008

Bankruptcy

Rumor has it that MF Global is preparing a bankruptcy filing tonight.

Won't affect seggregated funds in hedge accounts but probably won't make the risk trade in general real spunky.

"People of privilege will always risk their complete destruction rather than surrender any material part of their advantage. Intellectual myopia, often called stupidity, is no doubt a reason."

J.K. Galbraith
Esteemed Advisor
sw363535

Re: Bankruptcy

Reading news now, but wondering about that effect on overnite grains.  

Financials should be reacting.

sw
Esteemed Advisor
sw363535

All I see now is $$ up, probably in anticipation of that or caused by euro weakness.

sw
Veteran Advisor
Mizzou_Tiger

Grains are.......

Reacting to the chain reaction caused by Japan.........

Grains are lost right now grabbing at straws.........
Advisor
time:thetippingpoint

Re: Grains are.......

Wheat might be lost...but to suggest that a corn bid of 6.60 at harvest is grasping at straws could be a big error.

Regardless of opinion, a plan that is implemented is critical in this environment.

Short crops normally top close to or shortly after harvest. Why does anyone think this time is different? Clearly a lot of end-user panic and producer holding going on right now in corn.

Just saying a plan is a good idea. Unpriced and holding is not a plan.

Veteran Advisor
Mizzou_Tiger

Yes 6 dollar corn at harvest is great, but grains are still lost IMO.......as for your comment about short crops and topping near harvest........define near.........like same year of crop near, cause I don't remember a time when that was the case.......maybe late winter near.......

Why is unpriced and holding not a plan...........while every year is different.........8 and 14 seemed to work out ok for 2010.........if you want protection you should be looking to take it on 2012 crop........
Frequent Contributor
Redpower410280

I have no idea what the grain prices are going to do but it is hard for me to call this a short crop. It may not be what everyone expected but it is still the 3rd or 4th largest crop ever. So I just don't know if the markets will react like it was a short crop.

Advisor
425Cat

Doubt the enduser is in panic mode yet. They just plain need the stuff now and the stuff ain't there. They won't panic until the board moves higher.

Senior Contributor
NCcorntrader

bankruptcy=liquidation

Advisor
425Cat

Tiger ,

A lot of advisors will have you buy expensive puts in this senario to cover yourself and them or sell out of the money calls and puts or some other strategies. Haven't found options of much use except after parabolic moves .