Corn Basis Map

Did yo

Honored Advisor

Re: Basis map (corn)

2 - Soybean Basis Map

Soybean Basis Map

Veteran Advisor

i wish i was smart enough to take snapshots of these basis maps.  i notice that on robo, they cut off the basis at a certain level,

i think beans at 75 cents.  if you look at these charts you'll see there is quite a bit more basis out there.

also of interest is the deviation the current basis is from multi year averages.  I kind of wonder at times, what good

that data is, or what it's telling us......if anything, to perhaps show how much we are being taken advantage of.

i was at a meeting when i asked about the basis, and i was told that it would never go down, due to increasing

expenses...looking at the deviations, have things went up that fast....and if that was so, when why is the basis

so much narrow than the old crop in the elevator ??

www.agmanager.info/basis-map-february-1-2017

Honored Advisor

I wish it went father west.

Would be nice to see the effect (if any) of the shipping going on out of the Pacific NW ports

Senior Advisor

Notice the dark green - green in North East IN - Thats what we call the ring of fire ! 4 ethanol plants in that area - they grind 900,000 bu a day there - btw - They had - Had being the key word -- a + .25 basis back a month ago - talk about shaking some corn lose ! We have been trucking for neighbors to who tied it and will be for another month or 2 . 

Honored Advisor

We`ve got ethanol plants, feedmills, chickenhouses and still there aren`t any "green islands" around here  Smiley Happy  and tin can farm storage to meter the supply out.   I don`t know, it seems like everyone talks about basis, but no one does anything about it, I guess all a guy can do if he isn`t happy is to hitch the Oliver up to a couple Parker wagons and haul it 500 miles where the basis is better  Smiley Happy 

All you can do is promote ethanol and livestock and reward buyers that have the best local basis, but the "new' corn and bean areas like the Dakotas are going to probably always have poor basis.  The crop either has to be railed or trucked out of there, if they make the finished product "there" then that will have to be trucked out to the population centers are.  If there`s a 30¢ lower basis in a area, all you can do is spend your money accordingly.

Senior Contributor

BA, you may want to invest in a semi tractor/trailer outfit and find your own markets. You can buy a semi for $6000 and a trailer for probably not much more and wring out a couple of hundred bucks a trip. Plus, its a whole lot safer in the fall harvesting with units actually designed to go down the road with other moving traffic. The licensing, insurance, repairs, etc have proven to be pretty minimal

for me over the last several decades.

Veteran Advisor

maybe it's a matter of where and how you spend your money...yes you can buy a semi..but, you'll have to

haul when everyone is hauling, and while cutting......that doesn't work......

or, you can have bins.  i've talked to several grain murchants, they can give me some better deals, and better

mileage costs, and you can still take "protection", via the markets, etc

my problem is, that is not one of my skill sets....my worry, the grain getting out of condition.

Veteran Advisor

yes difficult to find a basis map for the pnw...if there is. here is somethings i found looking around on the net

portland

corn  470   +1.05

beans  11.12 +85

hrw   5.34  +94

toppenish

corn  424  +59

Quency

corn  430  +65

othello

corn  419 +54

glade

corn  430  +65

pasco  435  +70

mesa

corn  430 +65

basin city

corn  427  +62

stright distance from omaha, neb to portland wa  1,366 miles

driving miles   1,652 miles

shipping costs ???

Senior Advisor

BA - You have to remember that were not like you guys in Ioway ! We only raise 100 bpa vs your 300 - 400 bpa ! lol