Advisor

Beans Profitably Still Better

The University of Illinois say soybean profitability is still better than corn after the recent USDA report caused price changes.  The deal is, the expected income is lower.  

http://farmdocdaily.illinois.edu/2017/04/2017-break-even-prices-to-have-same-profitability.html?utm_...

Not good for the bottom line that soybeans still make more money -  but less of it - than corn.

I'm growing corn anyway.

Honored Advisor

Re: Beans Profitably Still Better

Well, it`s a difference in location, right now "here" NC corn is $3.49 and NC beans is $8.80, so I`d have to knock off 11¢ Farm Doc`s corn and 40¢ off their bean price.   In addition I think the next 25¢ down in either will easier come on the bean side...for that matter 25¢ could come off corn, but beans could take a buck off without batting an eye.

Another thing about "here" I can dial in 200 bushel corn, but I`m still not comfortable dialing in anything over 50 on beans, last year`s 70bu beans notwithstanding.  So Corn Baby, Corn!

Frequent Contributor

My sentiments exactly BA Deere. I'm on the fringe, so grow sorghum far more than corn. I had record bean yields last year, but feel far more comfortable growing sorghum than beans. Will have a few beans, but the marginal ground will probably be fallowed unless beans tack back on .60-.70 in the next 3-4 weeks.
Veteran Advisor

Bean 8.49. Corn 3.24. Milo 2.99

Pardon me for not doing a cart wheel
Senior Contributor

Beans 8.04. Corn 2.55 Hard Red Spring Wheat 4.45 Winter Wheat 2.85. Pardon me for bending over and being violated:-(
Veteran Advisor

I'm sorry, but I think you might have won the prize.  things may not always be greener on the other side of the fence.

Senior Advisor

[ Edited ]

I wonder how they got direct corn cost $200 per acre higher than beans.

For us, for 2017 corn direct costs are 231 and beans are 140, only 90 different.

The difference is corn seed of $34, and nitrogen costs of $52, plus dryer gas.

That one difference would really blow their analysis out of the water.

Of course, IL being close to the rivers has always made them more profitable than ND. 

Land values kind of prove the point I suppose.

The real question for the ND guys is why plant corn or beans, wheat would lose

less money right? 

Senior Contributor

Corn definitely. Beans, maybe yes, maybe no. If I had yields of 42-48 like last two years beans would still sort of work. Problem is we are way overdue for a train wreck. 25-28 bushel type deal. Without a lot of history in the fringes crop insurance would not pick up enough slack. Think I will do a major downshift from beans to minor oilseeds. Flax primarily. Some canola.
Senior Contributor

Oh yeah, spring wheat is not a low cost crop. Herbicide more expensive, and with extreme vomitoxin pressure it requires at the very least two fungicide applications. Then in order not to get boned on protein it requires major fertilizer package with possible lateseason topdress. There are at least ten discounts at the elevator for spring wheat. Neighbor just said after discounts he received just over $3.00/bu for the 15,000 bushel he hauled in due to all the discounts and he had over 14 pro. My ***** cavity is the size of New Jersey after winter wheat two years ago due to discounts so I won't even go there.
Senior Advisor

Thanks for the info ND...it takes real men to farm up there. Real men...we can just plant it and it mostly grows :-)

To steal a phrase from an old timer here who vanished into the wind...