Agriculture News, Markets, Weather, Ag Talk, Farm Machinery | Agriculture.com
Esteemed Advisor
Hobbyfarmer

Been Told

In plain language to show up here again.

2.30 inches of rain since Sunday morning @ 3:15. That's aplenty , getting muddy and must have been a little soap in it, The last of the green seemed to have washed out of the corn, and some of my beans are just starting to show a lighter color too. Many have given up around the area before this rain.

For those of you that got sorry notices on you rose colored glasses orders I'm truly sorry but seems the orders from all the USDA entities are going to keep the girls at South Podunk Industries busy into the next year. We increased prices and they just kept ordering, I guess money/price is no obstacle when you own the printing press.

Jen, one of your comments kind of bothered me.

The one of you complaining about your farm sale, Seems you believe you sold on the high and prices will be dropping shortly, then, nobody has a crop worth a ____(whatever you want to put in the blank). How are they supposed to come to your sale and give dealers asking prices?

I have bought a new to me 2206 CIH corn head and a very good 568 JD baler off of dealers lots in the last few weeks and I can vouch for the fact that asking price and the price they sold for was 5 to 8 THOUSAND dollars apart.

Another thing that amuses me that has several believers here is that no one needs to sell any crop till next year. Ray J has told of all the new crop loads that are showing up at his place. I'll bet way less than half are deferring pmt on them.

This farm economy is on thinner ice than most realize (my opinion only)  

I was also told in plain terms to put something "off topic" up. . .

http://www.youtube.com/embed/V_gOZDWQj3Q?rel=0

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=9c6_1372853257

For the three of you who don't like "off topic" get the powers to be to create a "off topic" thread.

60% of the time, it works every time.

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of dung by the clean end."
Veteran Advisor
jennys_mn

Re: Been Told

Hobby!!! There you are! Where you been? I'm enroute - be back in a bit...

Jen
Senior Advisor
ECIN

I don't know  which nit  wit on here told you put up some good ole OFF Topic- But he was one Smart -- s -  o  --oh better not say that - a genius ya that the ticket ! lol :smileywink:  

Advisor
c-x-1

you sure it wasn't PLANE language, Hobby???:smileyvery-happy:

Senior Contributor
pritchh

Re: Been Told,, interwsting takes

Good Q, why woudl somene sell their farm and assume they sold the top all in but a few months?  egotistical ?

The mantra here is DON"T SELl til the new yr, teach em a lesson. Stems from 2 yrs of VERY high prices, now not this yr,  desperate to get it back, as if we were in a NEW perma way over cost-of-prod-era.

High prices incte high plantins the workld over and as soon as Mo Nature cooperates, it trends towards  COP,  no ?

""DON"T sell NOW ""  creates its own setup of more to move later, whaen  prices will be lower.  Comments appreciated

Senior Contributor
gurly3801539

Good to see you are back and I agree with you on the farm economy overall.  We've had a run of good years but some haven't had much to sell during some of them.  And some have spent some mighty big bucks during them.

Senior Contributor
BF2012

Probably a lot of truth in that analysis,

[ Edited ]

however this is what pisses me off.   Notice the headline on home page, Input Prices to rise for 2014.   W T F....We all need our stupid asses kicked.    When fricking Monsanto is netting $ 150/acre profit off your farm up front, something is wrong with this picture.

Corn goes to $ 8.00 and prices for inputs triple.   Prices drop to $ 4.00 and inputs rise some more.   We are one bunch of dumb sob.s to be sure.

I will be able to get through to at least fall of 2014 without selling anything,  but would have to move it IF we raise anything in 2014.....2012 we were 0 on corn.  15 on bean yields.  

I'm thinking between now and 2015 Mother Nature is going to spank somone's ass somewhere.....and some of this fantasy yield stuff will come to light....

However.....I'm hoping we can hit $ 3.00 something for a harest low during the harvest price period.....collect the insurance payment due us, and I suppose it won't matter if I do have to sell if for $ 3.00 down the road.....just think of the tax savings.   

When will we ever learn.  

Veteran Advisor
jennys_mn

Re: Been Told,, interesting takes

I sold the farm due to health.  Had it not been for that, I would have kept it.  I am very, very bullish on farming and the farm economy in general.  I think farming, or a farm related industry is the place to be.  And if I was in a position to influence a young person today, it would be just that.  Anything from designing and building ag equipment to high tech gene splicing, and anywhere in between.  

But - my banker and a very good friend over the years whom I trust dearly is one of those that was SUGGESTING that due to my health, AND what he was seeing in farm land values, that maybe it was time to pull the plug.  He actually had been suggesting it for several years.  You can't cash flow  the land values that we are now at.  It is not sustainable.  And if you guys think it is with $5.00 corn, you better think again.  I said I THINK that we could pull land values back 20 - 25% from where the are, or where as the case may be.  Based on the price of corn and beans that is no longer $7.00 and $16.00 respectfully.   If land prices DO DROP THAT MUCH, it may be some years before we go back to that level.  I may not have that much time to sit and wait.  If I was 40, what do I care if land drops back?  But nearing 60, like a lot of us are, with no one to hand it down to and no help except that that is paid by the hour, is a different situation.  

As far as the auction sale, all I've read all summer is that auctions and equipment is red hot.  Did I expect more from my sale - yes.  About $100,000. more.  Based on what was being told from previous auction sales and items being advertised for sale.  My income earning ability is very limited.  My job in OKC is one of the few I can probably do now.  I want the largest nest egg going into retirement that I can, so if something happens, I have the money to at least support myself for a little while.  I worked three jobs more or less simultaneously for 25 years.  I think I deserve some time now for relaxation and enjoyment.

I don't know where land prices are going.  We may be just beginning to take land hugely higher.  And if it does, fine.  They aren't making a lot of new Midwestern farmland.  But what I am saying, is that right now, these land values ARE NOT SUSTAINABLE without the high crop prices to go with it.

We Americans pay less for food on a per capita basis than any country on Earth.  Do I want more of the pot for the American Farmer - YOU **bleep** RIGHT I DO.  I've got a box of corn flakes from some years ago here in my office.  It came from a farm show and says, "This $3.45 box of corn flakes contain 4 cents of corn."  Do you see a problem with that?  I sure do.  We farmers have given our crops away at levels that are unbelievably cheap for a long, long time.  Why are we the cog that doesn't sell our product based on cost plus our overhead and commission costs?  We have to depend on a system that knows nothing about farming, and doesn't give one eyeota about us.  It only cares about how cheap it can get our crop so IT CAN MAKE THE BIG MONEY ON IT.  It's wrong.  And has been for a long time.  Because it's how we do business, doesn't make it right.  And maybe it's time for a change of how things are done.

For me, if I had a crop to market this year, it would be BIN - LOCK, and go on vacation.  Why should I sell corn at these levels?  Are we going much lower from here?  I doubt it.  And selling it and buying it back on the futures is NOT like having the crop in a bin.  Where I can sell it when I'm ready.  And to whom I want.  BIN - LOCK - VACATION.  Sounds good to me this year.

Most farmers from what I see are in pretty good shape financially.  Very few bankers are willing to stretch out their necks like in the late 70's.   If you get credit now - it's because you're a good risk.  Not just because you signed the paper.  Farmers aren't like the housing mess - we cleaned up our house a long time ago.

Jen

Esteemed Advisor
Hobbyfarmer

BF: I have to agree with that input thing. I am going to leave a empty feeling in their pockets in '14.

Jen: not disagreeing with a lot of what you post but you seldom get to keep the cake and eat it too.

OFF TOPIC

REALLY THINK EACH QUESTION OVER IN YOUR MIND BEFORE YOU ANSWER...THEY MAY SEEM

STRANGE, BUT THEY ARE NOT....COULD BE YOU THAT IS.

<1.jpg>

You had better get these Right !

Subject: Fwd: grey cells

Something for seniors to do to keep those "aging" grey cells active! 

> 1. Johnny's mother had three children. The first child was named April.
The second child was named May. ...What was the third child's name?

> 2. There is a clerk at the butcher shop, he is five feet ten inches tall
and he wears size 13 sneakers....What does he weigh?

> 3. Before Mt. Everest was discovered, ...what was the highest mountain in
the world?

> 4. How much dirt is there in a hole ...that measures two feet by three
feet by four feet?

> 5. What word in the English Language ...is always spelled incorrectly?

> 6. Billy was born on December 28th, yet his birthday is always in the
summer. ....How is this possible?

> 7. In California, you cannot take a picture of a man with a wooden leg.
...Why not?

> 8. What was the President 's Name...in 1975?

> 9. If you were running a race, ...and you passed the person in 2nd place,
what place would you be in now?

> 10. Which is correct to say,... "The yolk of the egg are white" or "The
yolk of the egg is white"?

> 11. If a farmer has 5 haystacks in one field and 4 haystacks in the other
field, ....how many haystacks would he have if he combined them all in
another field?

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of dung by the clean end."
Esteemed Advisor
Hobbyfarmer

> Here are the Answers
> 
> 1. Johnny 's mother had three children. The first child was named April.
The second child was named May. What was the third child's name?
> 
> Answer:Johnny of course
> 
> 2. There is a clerk at the butcher shop, he is five feet ten inches tall,
and he wears size 13 sneakers. What does he weigh?
> 
> Answer: Meat.
> 
> 3. Before Mt. Everest was discovered, what was the highest mountain in the
world?
> 
> Answer: Mt. Everest; it just wasn't discovered yet. [ You're not very good
at this are you?]
> 
> 4. How much dirt is there in a hole that measures two feet by three feet
by four feet?
> 
> Answer: There is no dirt in a hole.
> 
> 5. What word in the English Language is always spelled incorrectly?
> 
> Answer: Incorrectly
> 
> 6. Billy was born on December 28th, yet his birthday is always in the
summer. How is this possible?
> 
> Answer: Billy lives in the Southern Hemisphere
> 
> 7. In California, you cannot take a picture of a man with a wooden leg.
Why not?
> 
> Answer: You can't take pictures with a wooden leg. You need a camera to
take pictures.
> 
> 8. What was the President's Name in 1975?
> 
> Answer: Same as is it now - Barack Obama [Oh, come on ...]
> 
> 9. If you were running a race, and you passed the person in 2nd place,
what place would you be in now?
> 
> Answer: You would be in 2nd. Well, you passed the person in second place,
not first.
> 
> 10. Which is correct to say, "The yolk of the egg are white" or "The yolk
of the egg is white"?
> 
> Answer: Neither, the yolk of the egg is yellow [Duh]
> 
> 11. If a farmer has 5 haystacks in one field and 4 haystacks in the other
field, how many haystacks would he have if he combined them all in another
field?
> 
> Answer: One. If he combines all of his haystacks, they all become one big
one.
>