Ag Talk | Agriculture.com
Community Manager
Jeff_a_Caldwell

Bigger driver: Basis or crop conditions?

Just out of curiosity for everybody out there on this Friday the 13th...For anybody who's out there getting rolling on harvest this early, how much of your motivation comes from trying to capture some of these cash basis levels out there? Between basis levels and just flat-out trying to get the crops out of the field before they completely fall to pieces, what's a bigger motivation?  

I know one thing...52 degrees at my place this morning pert near had me reaching for my longhandles after 100 degrees a couple of days ago!

-----------------------------------------------
Jeff Caldwell
Agriculture.com Multimedia Editor
Senior Contributor
buckfarmer

Re: Bigger driver: Basis or crop conditions?

I'll wait till my crops are "ready", like most years. I may manage storage and drying a little different if the basis continues strong.
Veteran Advisor
ECIN

First off - Jeff - heres part of YOUR  post -

I know one thing...52 degrees at my place this morning pert near had me reaching for my longhandles after 100 degrees a couple of days ago!

Just shaken my head here !  That office job must have turned you into a candy --- huh - huh Oh I know ! candy rear ! ( Jim don't like bad words - So I will TRY not to use them - even if it takes away from the effect - LM-O

Remeber Jeff - Greg has told me stories ! also a LM-O

I'm just going for the - get the crop in as fast as I can - then play the game .

Community Manager
Jeff_a_Caldwell

Hey, EC, once I put that awning in on my back porch earlier this summer, my grillin'/beer-drinkin' spot has been easier to handle this summer, so yep, I'm getting even softer than I was before! (which is almost unfathomable!).

Don't believe a word Greg says! Ha!

Jeff Caldwell
Agriculture.com Multimedia Editor
Senior Contributor
buckfarmer

I wandered about the 52 degrees also. It won't be long when it hits 52 we will be looking for a tee shirt.
Senior Contributor
dairyfarmmn

ECI, are you trying to say Jeff has turned into a candy azz? And what does LM-O mean? Laughing my.... O if fallen and can't get my azz back up?

For me it is about getting the silage chopped before it gets to dry. Never thought I would say that back in June..... But it going backwards faster than a cop who sped past a donut shop and decided to go back!
Frequent Contributor
SideHill3X

Loaded a load of corn Wednesday for the local feed mills, and when the truck arrived, they were mysteriously full and would not be receiving any more corn till 'next week'. Now understand storage is limited at this mill and they have several 50 ton an hour pellet mills. Story is all end users in SE Pa are basically full and there are still 100,000's of  bushels in farmer bins looking for a home and unpriced. We were able to harvest 25% of our crop by 9/6 and all was under 20% moisture. Combine said yield average was 160 with well over 200 bpa in the best areas, and the best areas were not always where you would have expected. Corn with drought tolerance make a good first impression.

Basis in our area will likely go negative, and we historically held a +35 during harvest for decades. July 2013 was +1.80 and July 2012 was +2.00.

Frequent Contributor
cornhead64

Should be great opportunities for the livestock guys !!!!

Anyone smell anything funny yet about this ?

Veteran Contributor
weedman

Did 36 acres, sent it to Blair for +85 $5.55) for 3 loads, +75 ($5.46) for 1 load and +70($5.34) for the last load. We harvested this at about average 22% moisture and did it to capture the basis. Pretty hefty moisture discount of about 2% per point. Would not pay enough for us to dry it, and might not have gotten it done in time to capture basis. I think next week Cargill will pinch the bids pretty hard. Pretty steady flow of trucks yesterday afternoon and today. I don't think we will receive prices like these untill next spring if even then. By the way, the corn made 131 dry basis, planted before the snow corn on corn and highly variable on yield. Might be our worst corn except for about 100 acres more of corn on corn that has what appears to be a poor Pioneer variety. That won't be for a while though. We probably won't have any more corn till after the beans. And those won't start until close to 10/1.