Veteran Advisor
c-x-1

Bullish Technicals - New Corn

outside day, higher close/last 3 days.

ScreenShot009.gif

Advisor
vrbuck

Re: Bullish Technicals - New Corn

Like I said before it is acting like a typical seasonal.  The last week in april is a good time for corn to bottom.  If you watch Soy roys seasonal charts you should stay long until the average corn date of june 14.  Many times the seasonals last until July 14, an average date during the first week of july is a good target.

Advisor
Red Steele

Never really watched and noticed the new crop bottom at the end of April, but am very familar with the "wet or dry, price before the fourth of July" saying, and have watched prices go down the limit on the day after the big fourth holiday, many many times. And usually been kicking myself that day , too, for not cleaning out.

Having said that, we no longer are in a stable price environment, and crops on hand and in the field are a huge hedge against inflation and monetary devaluation. Selling crops at the high is a good strategy...knowing what do do with the proceeds to gain and preserve wealth is the harder part.

"Peace on earth would mean the end of civilization as we know it" Joseph Heller
Senior Advisor
BA Deere

KVT is sharpening his bull horns on new crop http://cornandsoybeandigest.com/blog/why-corn-could-turn-bullish

Veteran Advisor
c-x-1

thanks BA,

the article makes some sense

- stupid question - is there not much Nitrogen yet b/c field conditions just haven't allowed it to be put down yet??  ie. lack of time.

Senior Advisor
BA Deere

Hey CX, I use 28%.  But I think it`s too late to put on gas for those that use it, I think you have to let it settle a week and a half or so before you plant.  They can use it for side dressing though.

Veteran Advisor
Shaggy98

This N comment brings up an interesting point. One of my fields planted to corn two weeks ago had 150+ units of carryover N from failed milo in 2012. It's only a little over 30 acres, so I decided to roll the dice and not apply any additional preplant N. One of my local Coops has a liquid rig with drop nozzles so I might consider hiring them to apply a little additional in season N. At what growth stage would I get my best bang for the buck?
Veteran Advisor
Shaggy98

Is this theory for corn only BA? We have several producers that sometimes apply NH3 in the morning and by that afternoon or evening they're already drilling winter wheat into it. Interesting comparison.
Senior Advisor
BA Deere

Hey Shaggy, I just looked it up in a book about NH3, it says it can hurt the seed germination if you don`t wait 8-10 days.  It`s nasty stuff, it`s cheaper but you have to apply 20% more because it`s so volatile.  This is only my opinion so nobody flame me for this , if it works for you, good for you.

Senior Contributor
NDf

I wait 24 hrs and then plant corn with AA never have had a issue with germ on corn. Guys around here that plant spring wheat go one pass with an airseeder putting down dry and AA with the seed. I like AA in the sandy ground never have applied 20%  more if anything would apply more urea compared to AA. Just make sure the ground is sealing up in back of the knife.