Highlighted
Senior Advisor
Accepted Solution

Bushels, Metric Tons, Short Tons, Long Tons

I wish we would convert to the metric system today.  But,that is not going to happen and probably not in my lifetime.

We farmers are used to thinking in a volume measurement (bushels) because that's what fits in a hopper or wagon or bin or trailer.  We onlyl think of a mass measurement when we think of selling.

So.....is there a quick, easy rule of thumb to convert a big number of metric tons to a number of bushels?  Something that doesn't have to be exact but is close enough for general purposes?

And while we're at it, you are all welcome to post how and when you use any of the subject units of measuremnt.  Short ton?  Huh?

Honored Advisor

Re: Bushels, Metric Tons, Short Tons, Long Tons

metric tons are 2200 lbs in US  --------------------  It is approximate but I use 36.66 or 37 bu per mt of beans and 39 bu per metric ton of corn.

There is something better and others --------- but that one gives me a foothold on general size of shipments and trade.

Advisor

My McKinley high school math suggests at 56# per bushel, 1 metric ton = 39.37 bushels.

Senior Advisor

Yeah, you guys are skipping the hard part.  That hard part is the test weight.  That is, converint my eyeballs from a 20,000 bushel bin of a certain size to an equivalent sized pile of corn that weighs 56#/bu.  (But, I'll admit that part of it is my problem).

OK - back to rules of thumb - I apprecaite the conversion factors, but is there some easy equivalent, like a truck load has XX metric tons or a barge (which I think is 30,000 bushell) is XX metric tons?  Yes, I can do the math, I'm thinking of the easy things like with temperature:

75 is 25

32 is freezing is zero

-40 is -40

With mass, it's not too hard to think of a pound of hamburger is half a kilo (yes, I know not exactly, but if you see a lump of meat that says it's half a kile then one pound is close enough).

Veteran Advisor

i agree Jim, no easy way b/c you've got to be able to convert other direction, as well -- and that is a COMPLETELY different formula.

bu to tonnes soy & wheat - X .0272, corn/sorghum/rye - X .0254, barley - X .218, oats - X .0359

Honored Advisor

[ Edited ]

You are slightly confusing things.

Test wt makes NO difference in tonnage. Whether it is a US or Metric ton.

The difference in test wt is how big of container it takes to hold it.

If you have a "light" test weight crop the bin will not hold 20,000bu. If it is a "heavy" test wt crop it will hold more than 20,000bu.

A ton of feathers weighs the same as a ton of gold. A ton is a ton.

Just remember it is all weighed. You cross the scale when you sell your grain, you do not have them come out with a tape measure and calulate the volume of your truck or wagon.

You get paid on weight. There are discounts for light test wt and sometimes bonuses for heavy test wt. BUT it is still by the pound or kilogram that the check is issued.

Senior Advisor

Well, I agree, we get paid on weight and bushels or tons is all the same if you are going off weight.  There, all we need is a rule of thumb to easily convert back and forth.  I'm still hoping we have one.

But, the volume to weight thing is not all that easy to dismiss.  When I think of my grain bin I don't think about weight at all.  I think only about volume.  In my mind's eye so many wagons or semi trailers in it.  So, when you tell me that a ship hols XX metric tons of corn that tells me how much the cargo weighs and what it is worth, but still, I'm an old country boy and like to think about how big it is.

Save me.  Go metric.

Veteran Advisor

THAT'S right Hobby...that was one of those questions on the IQ test or college entrance exams or one of those .

what weighs more, a pound of feathers or a pound of bricks???...or a pound of air, for that matter.Smiley Wink

Frequent Contributor

one barge= 55000_60000 bushel,varies by crop and test weight. 15 barges makes a tow. Once south of locks they tie as many as 36 together.iowa dot has a neat chart,barge train,truck

Veteran Advisor

Jim Meade / Iowa City wrote:

Well, I agree, we get paid on weight and bushels or tons is all the same if you are going off weight.  There, all we need is a rule of thumb to easily convert back and forth.  I'm still hoping we have one.

But, the volume to weight thing is not all that easy to dismiss.  When I think of my grain bin I don't think about weight at all.  I think only about volume.  In my mind's eye so many wagons or semi trailers in it.  So, when you tell me that a ship hols XX metric tons of corn that tells me how much the cargo weighs and what it is worth, but still, I'm an old country boy and like to think about how big it is.

Save me.  Go metric.

Metric isn't going to help that problem a bit.