Agriculture News, Markets, Weather, Ag Talk, Farm Machinery | Agriculture.com
Advisor
c-x-1

Can't fool Mother Nature

...is it time to consider plan B or "sweat out" the cold & wet trend that shows no signs of subsiding, yet?

6 to 10 Day Outlook - Temperature Probability
Precipitation

6 to 10 Day Outlook - Precipitation Probability

Veteran Advisor
Shaggy98

Re: Can't fool Mother Nature

Your preaching to the choir CX1, cooler temps. and near normal precip. I can live with both. Central Kansas.
Contributor
six_s

Is there some "Plan B"?  I didn't know there was...

I don't expect to be able to change any of this....

Veteran Advisor
Shaggy98

I'm assuming "Plan B" would be planting more beans & less corn.
Veteran Advisor
BA Deere

Plan "B" to to plant Beans :smileyhappy:  but seriously, I`m not worried yet, I cut my teeth on springs like this.  It`s dry in the subsoil so it`ll soak up alot.  I`ve seen yrs where we go into April with a surplus and then rains a 1" every other day, end up mudding it in the 20th of May...I`m still here. Of course those with thoughts of picking in September doesn`t look likely.

We shouldn`t have to light a candle to see the Sun.
Advisor
WCMO

[ Edited ]

After 2012, a little extra cool and wet is a good thing, at least until it isn't.

No corn in ground around here, probably at least a week behind "normal" progress, 2+ weeks behind "normal" start, with at least another week further behind once it quits raining for awhile.  Probably looking at 30 days behind "normal" when we get there, with some shifting from corn to beans.  Kind of messes up the USDA forecasts/projections, (as though they weren't already messed up to begin with).

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." - Thomas Jefferson

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." - Abraham Lincoln
Advisor
c-x-1

not a preacher.

plan B just means some sort of alteration from Mar intentions..............................

Senior Contributor
buckfarmer

My plan B usually just means changes like more or less tillage. According to soil type, topography, and drainage. And a lot less sleep. I've had good luck deep ripping or chisel plowing in March and April. Don't know about May.
Veteran Advisor
Jim Meade / Iowa City

I'm looking at 4.5 to 5" of rain in the last 24 hours.  Crick's out.  Some fields around are showing some erosion.  Hopefully mine aren't too bad.

Maybe the corn I wish I'd sold earlier will go pretty well in early September if it stays too wet to get an early crop in.

Advisor
idalivered

[ Edited ]

BA, absolutely correct. The one constant I've found in nia farming is...it rains in the springtime. I need to take a deep breath and say "yah, we've been thru this before." Also correct on the sept harvesting last year most of the corn belt was done in sept and 1.2 billion went right into the corn "pipeline". We could have a fantastic crop but aug could be really interesting as far as corn supplies go. For those saying a cool wet july is great, i'll say and quote roger elmore at iowa state. "heat unit acumulation has a direct correlation to good corn yields".  For now, my corn is having severe emergence stand establishment problems!