Agriculture News, Markets, Weather, Ag Talk, Farm Machinery | Agriculture.com
Veteran Contributor
WCWISC

Can't make this stuff up.......

Another 4-8" inches of the white stuff here in Pierce County, WI. Windy and cold too. Looks like snow stretches across Southern MN with rain in Iowa. So far it's the 3rd snowiest April on record here. Floods in Iowa, Illinois and Missouri. Gonna be 10 days minimum before we start here. That's if the weather changes right now. Doesn't appear that many will be rolling before that anywhere North of I80 and I74. IMO there won't be any corn planted North of I94 in North Dakota in 2013. If the planting season doesn't really get rolling till May 1st. When does it wrap up? Last week of May? 163 National average............ Not a chance.

Senior Contributor
ray h.

Re: Can't make this stuff up.......

WCWISC,It is kind of fun to watch on a year when Bears come up with the darnedest things to counter the real sit.On this info highway we have a much better glance globally to digest real conditions.Anouther thing that has been a reality since I can remember is farmers don't lie about poor conditions.Mother nature is still at it and my guess is the bulls will come out the winner again this year.Going to be fun to watch all of the excuses this season!

Veteran Advisor
Shaggy98

Ray, you are correct.  Mother Nature definitely holds the wild card each and every year.

Frequent Contributor
cyclonegrain

So, you say no corn north of I-94 AND no chance of a 163 trend line yield?  For sure acreage up there will be down significantly, but less acres in some fringe areas probably helps the possibility of achieving trend line yield I would think.  Also, if the majority of the corn crop is planted by the 15th of May we have as good of chance at trend line as any other year.  I personally would put trend line at 153-156, but that is just my guess. Most everybody can plant a corn crop in 5-7 days, especially if they "feel" like they are behind.  There is always some area that is to wet, dry, cold, hot, etc.  This drought sure got muddy fast.

Veteran Advisor
Shaggy98

Not in all areas cyclone.  Nebraska and Kansas are still extremely dry.

Esteemed Advisor
sw363535

Rayh,

That's soooo right.  Never heard it before but your right.  A farmer never tell ya how good his crop is, may be, or even was.  He will smile or change the subject.  But if he got hailed out, your gonna here it, like it or not.     :smileyhappy:

sw
Friend
stolts_69

There is no way any corn will be planted north of 94. Almost May 1 and still 2ft of snow on ground. When is the spring wheat market going to wake up.
Senior Advisor
ECIN

C-grain -- I was thinking the same thing yesterday , about the fringe acres down then the over all yield , nation wide  should go up .

but I would say in my area , I have seen corn go in early -- then it turns off  cool and wet , all I have to do is think back to last season here - the super early corn --- got frosted 3 times , then seedling blight an then the drought , On the flip side I have seen corn go in a litter later , ground is good and warm , it jumps out and never looks back

.The more fringe acres we lose -- the better the chance of 163 .

BTW Pretty day here yesterday  = 70 and sunny , chance of rain this afternnon .

Advisor
idalivered

North iowa ---soil is snow covered this morning and 26 degrees. steady rain yesterday all afternoon. 

Veteran Contributor
DismalScience

I'm a 100 miles non of I94 in ND. I am planning on 1,000 acres of corn. I will plant till May 20. I have 2,500 acres of tiled ground to choose from although the beets will get priority. I have some fields that are completely black and just need the frost to break and the tile will open up. I am guessing my tile investment is going to pay off this year.