Senior Reader
cerealtiller

Canola Cash Prices

Canola futures prices have been on the rise, so just wondering if Canadian cash prices are doing the same.Is basis rising or falling?Are Canadian suppliesbeginning to tighten?I still have canola to sell here in Aust. so just trying to get a handle on where prices are headed.I know canola will follow beans to an extent but would like a Canadian perspective on canola.

Thanks.

Frequent Contributor
noreaster

Double Bonus In Ontario Canada

Basis is strengthening as the board price....Bunge cash price $640ish and ADM $650ish per metric tonne.

Canola has bucked the trend so to speak and is finally standing on its own.  The high oil quality and higher protien meal are the attraction...

Senior Contributor
farmerguy89

Re: Canola Cash Prices

628/tonne here in Hamilton, ON. Not really a big crop in ON; soybeans remain the darling oilseed crop here.

Veteran Contributor
NABFarmer

Elevators here are making calls looking for canola. I don't think much canola in the area remains unpriced; guys have taken the view that sales over $14 are never a bad one.
Senior Contributor
Longcreekfarms

Is there any market for canola in my part of the country that y'all know of. I'm in Shenandoah valley of VA. Did some custom work for a neighbor last year and his canola turned out decent. My yield monitor showed around 60 bushel most of the time. But then I had to move a couple trailer loads for him and it was a 4 hour ride away. Seems my trucking and combine bill probably killed his profits...
Senior Contributor
farmerguy89

60 bushel is pretty good, for canola. Guy should be laughing, even with a 4 hr truck ride.

Senior Contributor
Longcreekfarms

Exactly why I'm asking farmerguy... I'm looking for other options of who to sell canola to. If I can run canola and double crop beans behind, it looks like another rotation that I could fit in on my own dirt. I don't want to hit a monopoly of only having one outlet though. I have no idea of what neighbor was paid for his, but have seen the 13-14 dollar range regularly. With 30 or 40 bushel beans behind that, it could become profitable in a hurry. Of course at 50 an acre harvesting and 700 a trip trucking, it's profitable to custom harvest his as well :smileyhappy:
Veteran Advisor
Shaggy98

Where is the nearest market for canola in relation to Central Kansas?  I actually considered a few acres of canola on a few acres just to try something new, but didn't have a clue where to market it.

Senior Contributor
farmerguy89

just watch for white mould if your double cropping.. if the canola had it, the beans will get it if you dont use a white mould suppressant.

Of course, ymmv.