Agriculture News, Markets, Weather, Ag Talk, Farm Machinery | Agriculture.com
Senior Advisor
Jim Meade / Iowa City

China reportedly refuses some corn

My usual corn buyer sent a text message that GPC and possibly ADM are not accepting Garst, NK and Golden Harvest varieties ending in 3111 or 3110.  I do not know this from my personal knowledge, just passing on what I was told by a normally trustworthy source and wondering if you have heard the same thing?

My buyer says she has been contacted by GPC, ADM and a local elevator advising her they will not accept those numbers.

Have any of you heard anything from your buyers or elevators?

I was told these varieties were sold as "not yet approved".  I am assuming they are 2011 corn, but I do not know that. 

Senior Contributor
NDf

Re: China reportedly refuses some corn

The hybrids have the new Viperta insect trait from syngenta which hasn't been approved for import to China. There was a link on one of the ag sites maybe even this one about it last week.

Senior Advisor
Jim Meade / Iowa City

Is there a test?

The first question one hears on a question like this is whether there is a test for it.  Does anyone know?  I've been told by a nondependable source there is not.

Senior Contributor
NDf

Re: Is there a test?

In the artical it was stated that there would be a test developed before harvest

Veteran Contributor
chipster22

Re: China reportedly refuses some corn

Frequent Contributor
TractorTiger

Whenever y'all figure out if there is a test let me know!

Community Manager
Jeff_a_Caldwell

[ Edited ]

Talked to a few grain buyers and folks who are affected by this deal. Sounds like the main message is to just be darn sure you're not commingling these particular traits with other grain, especially if it's destined for the ethanol supply chain, and exported DDGs down the line. China and the EU are refusing the stuff. If you're feeding or using it locally, though, you should be okay. 

Also just heard from some folks at Syngenta on the deal. They're disappointed with the ruling, but they're still fairly confident that they'll be able to get into that market in the not-so-distant future. Included the statement and some more information in the link above.

-----------------------------------------------
Jeff Caldwell
Agriculture.com Multimedia Editor
-----------------------------------------------