Ag Talk | Agriculture.com
Frequent Contributor
WCWISC

Cold this morning in Texas panhandle

Looks like it got pretty darn cold last night into this morning in the Texas panhandle. Not to mention Oklahoma and Kansas. I'm guessing there is a fair amount of corn emerged in the panhandle area. Is there a potential replant looming?

Advisor
c-x-1

Re: Cold this morning in Texas panhandle

WCWISC,

doubt corn's begun up there - bkadds could confirm--as you say, been too cold & dry in some spots.

Senior Contributor
bkadds

No way any corn has sprouted here. Some are planting, but been pretty cold and awful windy off and on. Wheat is done in my opinion. We were 18 this morning.
Frequent Contributor
WCWISC

Bkadds, what is the average date you guys finish planting in your area?

Senior Contributor
bkadds

It varies so much. Two years ago I finished planting the first week of June. We are small timers and I try to get it all in the first week to ten days of May. Dad always used to say if he could plant all his corn on one day it would be the 10th of May. However, the majority of corn that the btos plant is finished by the time I get started. They try to beat the heat of pollination, but the last to years that would have resulted in planting in February! Been hot and dry here the last two summers. As a matter of fact, I cannot remember the last one inch of rain at any one time. Been two plus years. Peak corn is in full swing here.
Advisor
c-x-1

bkadds,

18* = cold

are you near Hereford or more north closer to Dalhart?

thanks,

c-x-1

Senior Contributor
bkadds

I actually live in Dalhart and have for 36 years. Actually started out in MN.
Frequent Contributor
WCWISC

Sorry for all the questions Bkadds, but what would you say are average yields in that area with irrigation? I've seen land for sale in the panhandle and was curious as to what yields are.

Senior Contributor
bkadds

No problem! If we get "normal" rain we can get over 270+ average dry corn. The last two years have been off some due to dry weather. We averaged 264 last year. It really depends on what your water is like. It takes good water in a dry year, obviously as the temps and wind can suck the ground and thus crop dry. I would have gone into farming full time, but was to nervous about water quantity long term. It can be a great place to farm. Shoot any other questions you might have.
Senior Advisor
sw363535

Before the "it ain't possible--missouri crowd" chimes is------------ I will confirm the previous post.  I am up the road NE from Dalhart  90-100 miles and we have locations with better water than the Dalhart area.  We cannot match their production.  They are higher in elevation and cooler at night when the 100+ heat comes with it's 5-10% humidity we suffer and they stay cooler--------- the corn loves it.  

The question on land for sale is---------Does it really have the water it once had??  And would it be for sale if it did??  And how much water is enough??----------------sorry that's three questions.  It's a big question.

sw