Ag Talk | Agriculture.com
Advisor
c-x-1

Corn Plant poll

[ Edited ]

May 19th progress report--is US going to be 50% or higher planted by then???

interestingly, this same date is the 5-10 year average for 50% Corn emergence.

how much added risk to production do you think there is with a large % planted after this date? very little, moderate amount, significantly more? 

Also, how is it progressing in your locale?

thanks.

Veteran Advisor
BA Deere

Re: Corn Plant poll

I`m saying this with a rabbits foot in one pocket and a 4 leaf clover in the other, while knocking wood...but I`ll be 100% done with the corn by the 19th.  My prediction is on the 19th, 75% of the corn will be planted of the 90 million final acres.  This information is worth even less than I`m charging for it. :smileyhappy:

Senior Advisor
Hobbyfarmer

100_6406.JPG

This picture was talken the 19th of May 2012. Planting the last field of corn. Average last year was 159 bpa. One of my better crops farm ave wise.We had had a flood the middle of April and it took this long for the fields to dry up after cloudy and lots of little showers.

The flood this year was three days later. This field is a mess this year as the flood windrowed and piled the stalks out there everywhere right now. They are full of dirt (mud) and will never burn.

Just got back from a 20 mile drive west of here and the planters will roll either tomorrow afternoon or Monday at the latest in that/this area. I think I'll start on a few beans into a cover crop. Monday afternoon I plan on putting the corn discs on.

60% of the time, it works every time.

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of dung by the clean end."
Advisor
c-x-1

[ Edited ]

Hobby,

maybe get some corn in Tues before rains again Wed-Th???

BA,

I like your optimism................!!!

Senior Contributor
farmerguy89

Cx, I'm 75%.. Could be more if it wasn't for fertilizer dealers. Just read on fieldcropnews.com that this has been the theme here in Ontario this year.. Guess everyone made too much and bought too big of equipment. The fieldcropnews minutes suggest that provincially we are 50% done. pound ding in any field even after decent rain. We were drying out. 150 5 year bpa trend continuation is possible. Maybe an increase if the cold goes... No one has mudded anything like the fools on this site.
Senior Contributor
hanktbd

CX, My part of Central IL is about 10 to 15% planted to date. All of it so far has been mudded in. Corn planted 12 days ago has emerged. Prolly mud in another 10 to 15% between now and the rains later this week. That should do it through the rest of May unless the Accy weather forcasters are (hopefully) wrong. Should bump us up pretty close to the prevented planting dates, although I have never personally known anyone in this area to take the PP.

Advisor
c-x-1

thank you hanktbd!

what affect on emergence and general health of plant does mudding the seed in have, if much of any.

does it affect root system or cause seed to have too much moisture??? sorry if dumb questions.....just attempting to learn what y'alls experience in the field is.....really appreciate it!

thanks,

c-x-1

Senior Contributor
farmerguy89

Root growth will be restricted and nutritional deficiencies and general unthriftiness will develop. Plant populations will be reduced and uneven. These guys are fools, because If they would wait they would have a half decent crop.

GUYS, you will have far more yield potential if you wait. You can't toto the poker table and stArt playing marginal hands hoping for good results: you need to wait for a playable hand, just as you need to wait for soil conditions to improve. You cant find any research to defend mudding it in. Don't even **bleep**ing. Bother arguing with me that your doing the right thing. You simply aren't. Your wrong, 200% of the time.

Ps, cx my corn has emerged. It has snow flurries on it now and was at 0c. Won't know for a little bit of replanted necessary, but it was only a smaller set of acreage.
Senior Contributor
tree fmr

secon that 89. If it all comes up that does not mean it will put ears on either!
Senior Contributor
hanktbd

CX,  There are varying degrees of "mudding it in". When the top few inches are dry enough, but the next few inches are being compacted the yields are reduced,but depending upon the weather, it may not be real obvious from the road. When the sidewalls are smearing and the guage wheels are growing, yields can take a severe hit, again depending upon the weather the rest of the season. Last time we mudded a few acres in was 1974 and the worst of it took a 50% yield hit, but it can be much worse if it turns off hot and dry. My guess is that Illinois has already lost at least 15% off trendline yields due to a combination of late planting and doing field work when it was too wet, and that yield hit is growing with each passing day. However, since we apparently have such a big surplus of corn, that yield hit will just reduce the size of the big piles stored outside the Co-ops this winter.