Senior Advisor

Crick's Out

[ Edited ]

I have one creek that runs through the farm and another that starts at a field work on the property edge and T's into the main creek.  The main one is out this morning.  Not bad, but a little more than bank full.  Some water is sitting on the flats back away from the creek, but not bad as I had the banks pulled down a few years ago.  Still, it means it''s a fair amount of surface water.

I got 3.25 inches in my fancy rain gauge.  The Iowa City airport got 2 1/2.  The TV is reported Iowa City got over 5".  I don't know where they got that number.

Anyway, eastern and southeastern Iowa got a big shot of moisture overnight and more is forecast on the way.  

No corn down from wind that I saw on a very short eyeball scan.  Haven't heard any reports but I'll see what my cronies have to say if I drop by the diner at noon.

Forecast for the next week is high humidity, highs in the mid-high 80s and nights in the 60's.  Sounds like pretty good corn growing weather to me.  

Veteran Advisor

Re: Crick's Out

Bone dry and 100 here
Veteran Advisor

Missed all the showers, TV says it will hit 100 this afternoon.  Maybe 75% of my beans found enough moisture to germinate, looks like less.  Corn has been showing stress in the heat, probably not hurt much yet.  Can drive probably 20 minutes and get into area that had an inch or more of rain 2 days ago.

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Count your blessing Jim, your one rain event is three times our June total so far.  Your right where your want to be, a full profile of moisture, the later half of June, that will carry you through pollination.  I was in Johnson and Iowa Counties yesterday, crops looked good but farmers I talked to said they where ready of a good rain.  Sounds like that happened.

West of DMS

Wind

Veteran Advisor

Today's forecast 103 heat index 110 winds 10 to 20
With higher gusts

Things drying up...pastures down hill....alot
Of Milo and beans not up. People worried
About cattle feed...forages not comming up.

Too bad everyone thinks the center of the known universe is in is and il
Senior Advisor

"Too bad everyone thinks the center of the known universe is in is and il"

#1.  When I read something like this it makes me wonder why I post on here.  I made a statement about my farm.  I didn't say it was the center of anything.  I was reporting information, not bragging.   Read my messages about marketing and you'll see I don't have anything to brag about in that department.  Everyone is going to take all the information they can get and make their assessments of how it affects the markets.  Why get on here and post what happened if people just bad mouth you for posting facts?

#2.  For the purposes of corn production, IA and IL are pretty close to the center of the known universe.  The deal is that when it is dry in Nebraska it may be perfect in Ohio, when it is gangbusters in Missouri it may be the pits in Minnesota.  It all tends to average out and many years a big part of the average is from IA and IL.  I remember in 2005 we got a little bit of the drought from southern Illinois up here.  My yields were down substantially.  But other areas were fine so the prices didn't drop.  In the big scheme of things, I got rolled over by the averages.  It didn't do me any good to feel bad about my low yields because the market didn't care at all.

Esteemed Advisor

Darn those Ohio farmers.   They always bring the national corn average down.............................

Veteran Advisor

Jim...a little tough on elchappie...he was referrring to the traders in Chicago and ShangHai, not you.

And, yes, IA/IL are important, but national above trend yields always require one of the fring areas to be way above trend.

Right now...it is hard to find that fringe area, maybe IN/KY/OH but it was planted late over this way.

Senior Advisor

I apologize to elcheapo and all if my reading of elcheapo's post was wrong.  The onlly thing that ticked me off was the last line, the one I quoted.  I'll do my best to take a few minutes to wind down before posting next time.

I've never thought we were going to exceed or even meet trend line this year.  My feeling is that crops in the highly productive areas are better off than some would like to accept.  My thought was that if crops here are pretty good, we are unlikelly to have a short crop with commensurate high prices.

I heard someone on WHO today talking about it was dry in the southeast quarter of Iowa.  I talked to my grain buyer in Washington county and looked at my farm yesterday before the rain and tile are running.  If tile are running, subsoil moisture must not be in too bad of shape.  Maybe down near Mt. Pleasant or Keokuk it is dryer.  We'll see if any of this rain hits them.  I'm not sure that's the high production area of Iowa, though every bit counts.

BTW, time, I surely wish I'd taken your advice to buy the calls before selling the board.  You were exactly on target and I was wrong.  If I'd taken that advice, I'd be considerably better off today.

Veteran Advisor

dont worry jim....i have that effect on people !!!

who knows........we keep on getting the kind of wx we are down here, and we might have to move our spinkle production fields up there where your at !

need good moisture for spinkles........you want them plump and sweet........any more only thing we can produce is the hard dry ones !!!!

got to be careful so you don't crack a tooth !!!

good luck to ya............we all need that anymore !