Agriculture News, Markets, Weather, Ag Talk, Farm Machinery | Agriculture.com
Veteran Advisor
roarintiger1

Crop Planting Progress

Any guesses on a number this afternoon?  

Any guesses on when anyone in Chicago will care?

Any guesses on the amount of corn acres that really get planted?

The planting window continues to close little by little every day.

The markets are telling us that if we lose acres in the US, it really won't matter.  

Are the markets wrong?  Or just overly cautious?

Can we just add another 400 million bushels of corn on paper and make everyone feel better?

Thoughts?

"Failing to prepare is preparing to fail." "Success happens when preparation meets opportunity"
Senior Contributor
Buckley_HF

Re: Crop Planting Progress

Good morning tiger. 2% last week so I'm guessing 3-4% this week even though I read where the trade is expecting 6-8%. I'm not sure where ANY significant corn acres were planted this past week. We may of actually lost some acres with cold weather and flooding. But you make a good point. Trade does not seem to care. Don't see much planted this week. Maybe next Mondays report will get their attention as we creep towards may. Here in ECIL if we miss the rain expected tomorrow I still think we are may 1 before starting. Have a good week of preparation boys.
Senior Advisor
ECIN

Morning all -- May guess will be 9% planted -- seen where Shaggy put in 100 acres so am sure that will effect the markets today .

With the big SA crop -- No worry's !

Looks like NO corn in my area wil make it in -- in April -- That may be a first . IF we would miss rain on tuesday then a chance to go by weekend .

As Bucky said -- No worries till we hit May and nothing planted .

Senior Contributor
farsider

It's still too early to worry about losses from not planting. This isn't an "average year" but what year is? Too early for the market to react, let's get into May and see how progress is going before we write this crop off. Look at 2011 and the progress that year and see how the market reacted to delays, 2012 planting progress has colored our memories to what feels normal.
Advisor
giolucas

[ Edited ]

Oh we care in Chicago, but we just see reality.  Ultimately, South America will get their inventories out to their customers and the US Farmer will plant their crop, later .  Will the price stay as high, probably not.   But, do agree that if we have a string of 90+ weeks in the summer we can hit higher prices.  

Veteran Advisor
Shaggy98

Oh you know it, I'm a market driver! If it helps everyone's thinking, that puts me a little over 50%.
Senior Advisor
ECIN

Hey gio -- ole buddy-- old friend -- how about I send you a FREE case of beer -- of your choice - of course for a small favor ? Like you tell your friends up there in the windy that IN ,IL and IA may all take PP this year - lol

Thanks in advance

Advisor
giolucas

ECIN,

Send me that case of beer, I am not picky and drink almost anything.   Here are the names, Moe, Larry and Curley.

Advisor
c-x-1

Buckley,

thinking similarly here......doubt it'll get to 7 - 4/29