Agriculture News, Markets, Weather, Ag Talk, Farm Machinery | Agriculture.com
Senior Contributor
marketeye

Delta Soybeans

Anyone live around the Delta and have some yield reports? One trader told me, today, there are reports of yields of 60-plus. 

Meanwhile, corn harvest is underway north of Memphis, TN. So, you have rapid harvest and big yields in the South. Any yields to report? Help me out, would ya?

Thanks,

Mike

Veteran Contributor
Jed Stivers

Re: Delta Soybeans

I'm 60 miles southwest of Memphis. The dryland crops are toast, beans are 10-35 bu, irr. will be good in the 45-65 range. Dryland corn has mostly been zeroed out and is being destroyed, what has been harvested is in the 50-80 bu. range. Irr. corn is good with yields in 150-200 range. Cotton is still unknown, except that the dryland will be really bad. Rice is coming in real big this year.
Senior Contributor
marketeye

Just south of Memphis, I'm told irrigated soybean yields on one 180 acre field recorded 78 bu./acre. On another 100-acre field, 84 bushel beans were harvested. And on another 120-acre field, 81 bu./acre. Now, here's the kicker. These soybeans are 10 days away from being harvested. But, they are not shutting down. Farmers are spraying to kill the plants. To the guy/gal reading this, I ask, have you ever had to do that?

For corn located near Kansas City, St. Louis, and parts of southern Illinois, some farmers are reporting 20-21% moisture. That is low and nearing harvest-ready. There's also more and more talk of stalk rot. Weigh-in here, if you would. Anybody having stalk rot problems? If so, is this shutting down grain production, in the ear?

Veteran Advisor
Canuck_2

Re: Soybeans 'not shutting down'

Had that happen one fall when we got rain after a dry spell.

One variety especially wanted to keep on growing and flowering.

We hoped for a frost and were in field 4 different times before we finally finished the field.

Beans were dry but stalks were still green.

Problem was getting the beans into the combine but after quitting 3 times we just messed around and tweaked settings and finally finished.

Spraying would have been the way to go but could not believe the field was getting greener instead of dry.

Senior Contributor
dapper7

Re: Soybeans 'not shutting down'

nw iowa, scattered fields of corn appear to be dying prematurely. local agronomist from coop says gosses wilt. affecting northern genetics. sds still spreading in western cherokee county. havent been east to know how wide spread.d7

who you gonna believe? me or your own two eyes. groucho marx
Veteran Contributor
Jed Stivers

Spraying beans to harvest early is done often but in the past hasn't been common here. This year I am seeing more of it done.
Senior Reader
Mike_McGinnis

Massive fund longs have to be sweating with over 350K in longs in corn as of today. That's not a good sign for late comers with the US corn crop finishing well, if not spectacular

Also, I'm told the cash basis should be staying firm in the South. Here's why, according to a trader/analyst from Memphis. He says there are 600-800 barges full of crap corn, 'sample grade', stuck at the Gulf. This is damaged corn that was graded 2 1/2 months ago. In fact, he knows of a farmer, in the Delta, that can buy that corn, at the Gulf, have it delivered and it's still $1.25-$1.40 per bushel cheaper than buying locally.

The upshot, companies holding this 'crap corn' at the Gulf need the freshly harvested Delta corn to blend with the 'sample grade' stuff on those barges. As a result, this should keep Delta basis firm.

YIELDS

New yield reports Wednesday on the Delta corn harvest: dryland corn is coming in at 100-125 bu./acre, irrigated 150-170 bu./acre. Farmers are disappointed with these yields. They should be 200-plus, on the irrigated. I’m told they just didn’t get enough rain. Plus, 100-degree temps hurt the yield.

There’s more confirmation of real good bean yields from the Delta. A new report Wednesday has 70-plus bu/acre dryland beans being harvested and 80-plus irrigated. Farmers are liking these yields. The kicker is, with possible hurricanes coming, farmers are hurrying to get the crop out of the fields. And you know how we talked about farmers spraying to kill the bean plants, well, it’s happening more and more with ‘group-4’ varieties that are non-determinent. Plus, fungicide is making it tougher to kill these plants.

Mike