Senior Advisor

Re: Dicamba Damage And Yield Loss

sw - yep - your probably right - But why so much heat ?? Might turn that oven down a little - I like to keep the temps down in the low 80's - I just have better luck with them : )))))))  

Frequent Contributor

SW, I have similar looking beans to the one's on the left (standard RR beans). Why do you think the beans on the left will have such a big yield advantage? Sure don't show it by the pic. 

Senior Contributor

Sw, it won't matter what they yield if someone doesn't learn to set their combine! Where did all of that volunteer corn come from?
I agree though. Beans seem to yield better when they are slightly dinged. My snake oil liquid K that I spray on beans also has sulfur in it. If laid down while in hot temperatures, it burns them pretty hard but they seem to pod better afterwards. Maybe it's all in my head! 😉
Advisor

SW - if I may ask on the Semi - irrigated  - row spacing ? 

Honored Advisor

drilled.. 10 inch....    we stress them with limited water while the water goes to corn until corn is near made in August and then they have lots of water....the stress is what boosts the yield   expect 65 bushel  often get 70.   Those taller beans have maybe 12 pods so far..... the smaller will set more pods..........I think   we will see

volunteer......conditional and a problem.........  here when the falls remain hot and it dries to 12% moisture before you can get to it....... trait failures.......... and we are now stuck with refuge in bag..... in an area that will have 100% infestations of southwest corn borer we can't buy 100% trait......... Too many decisions made in washington...... it goes flat or drops ears before harvest.

Sometimes high winds and  heat and occasionally heavy rains and wind lay it down so the header can't be efficient..

Last year was trait problems -----  Pioneer had three varieties that dropped ears and did not handle the ear worms....

We always have to spray corn volunteer in beans, usually not that bad............. If we work the ground to kill them we can't hold the ground from blowing after planting beans in the spring........ WIND....... like the one that started all the fires this spring 70+mph in march and occasionally later...  also why we drill the beans to get a thicker stand so the bean stubble will make it through the winter without blowing ground.

Tough climate   

Advisor

I thought maybe you were down the row flooding them - every other row --- 

Senior Contributor

Blacksandfarmer,  "to have all of these chemical traits inserted into all row crops" is exactly what the chemical companies want.  My coop will not spray dicamba products at this time because of the liability.  There is a battle going on and I'm not sure how it should or will be resolved.  Who pays for "off target" damage?  Insurance from the farmer that sprayed, chemical company or our own?  What about the large vegetable, fruit and grape farms in the heart of row crops?  Some farmers are getting desperate with weed control and they want clean fields regardless.  I cannot and will not tell my neighbor what they can or cannot spray but it does need to stay on target.  

Maybe a little more research on the products before they are put on the market.

There is a large commercial vegetable farm near here and I just talked to the owner and he is very concerned.

Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

new herbicide...Landoll

a new product to combat resistant weeds.

currently there are no know resistance to Landoll

www.landoll.com/content/index.php/products/farm_equipment/agriculture/2000-row-crop-cultivator

Advisor

Wind, I only raise non-GMO. We are getting to a very complicated point in weed control. We now have 2-4D, Dicamba and HPPD resistant crops either growing or in the works. The field edges are going to get destroyed in places and people will get upset. The thing is, all of these chemicals have been around for a while, so resistance will come soon. I give it 10 years without a new chemical and a row cultivator will be our only choice for post-emergent weed control. 

BTW, I have a seed customer that raises organic corn, its some of the best corn Ive seen all year.

Senior Contributor

Are you seeing any resistant to Liberty herbicide?  I just came in from spraying Liberty herbicide around some out buildings.  The building edges I sprayed 5 days ago,the weeds are toast.  I was encouraged.  I guess a little iron blight is better than a very weedy field.

I'm glad to hear of some farmers out there that raise only non-GMO crops.  My wife thinks the GMO crops are going to come back and bite us yet!!

Just a heads up- about half of the NO 1 corn growing state needs a good rain.  Rain totals here are about 60% of normal for June and July.  One seed dealer claims the corn yields are down to 120bu. a acer.  Beans will need rain too. Rain has been very spotty this summer.  The have and the have nots are not very far apart.  Have yet to see a 1.5" or more rain all year.