Advisor

Eastern corn belt tour

Me and the wife took a trip down to Kentucky to visit Mammoth Cave and to meet up with some old friends in southern OH. We drove straight south from our place on the Michigan/Indiana line through Indiana on I-69 and I-65. On our way back we drove through Ohio on I-75 until we got to Van Wert and headed west into Indiana. The crops in extreme northern and southern IN look good. The crops in extreme northern and southern Ohio also look good. Both central Indiana and central Ohio are a mess. Lots of variability between fields just miles apart. Overall yields for the two states will be down. Rain won't help the drowned-out spots in corn or beans and it won't fix nitrogen starved corn.

FWIW, Kentucky had nice corn and beans...but I don't see Kentucky raising the national yield average much.

Highlighted
Advisor

Re: Eastern corn belt tour

Wife and I were in the Twin Cities yesterday for a few errands and got rained on a couple times.  Gotta keep those freeways washed off.

Had to drop some parts at an airport project, then to MOA before making a couple stops on the southwest side.

While heading out on 212 I was remembering all the miles of farm ground that have been consumed by urban sprawl.

Crops look pretty nice south and west along the MN river valley and I got to thinking about ethanol while my truck was running smoothly on E85.

I wonder how many of those folks complaining about using corn (food) for fuel live in houses that sit on what used to be corn ground??Smiley Wink

Senior Advisor

You came down 69 and 65 and didn't stop by ???????????????????????????????? Boy - that hurts - besides I have missed giving your better half a hard time !  : ))

BTW - Field day is set for Sept. 8th BSF

Cat - As for your question - I have no idea - what one in a thousand -- maybe : )

:

Veteran Advisor

EC....how far are you from Indy??

coming to Rulon's meeting on Aug 22/23 and might have to come check you out!!

Senior Advisor

Ray - About 20 miles or so - Morristown IN - on US 52 - that will get you with 'n' a mile and a half of the farm - it's easy to find - its the one with 12 foot tall horse weeds - side ditchs all grown up - a few old cars up on blocks - and a big ole lazy boy sitting in front of the barn - can't miss it - beer cans 5 foot tall around it : ))) you have my cell number ?

Advisor

[ Edited ]

Sorry Ken, we were on a bit of a time crunch, but we were thinking about you. Your area was probably the worst I saw for crop damage along the way. The focus over the past couple days has been dry weather in Iowa and Illinois. It will be interesting when the Pro Farmer crop tour starts out in Ohio and finds all the variability. A yield guess for Indiana and Ohio will be tough this year. We would love to make it to your field day, but we have our own field day the evening of Sept 7th. If something changes I will let you know. The wife says hello.

Senior Advisor

Thanks BSF ! Nothing like posting up on a NATIONAL web site that my crops looks like ---- ! Your getting more like your bride every day ! lol 

Have fun on the 7th !

Advisor

Lol! Just calling it like I see it buddy! Look on the bright side Ken, basis should be good this year Smiley Happy