Agriculture News, Markets, Weather, Ag Talk, Farm Machinery | Agriculture.com
Advisor
hardnox604008

Elwynn tweet

http://twitter.com/elwynntaylor

...... for 2012 la nina 148 bpa but if Dr. Wolter's 60% forecast for el nino by June verifies, 168.

Which means nothing, other than to remind oneself that everyhting remains up in the air and nobody knows.  Dry conditions in WCB are concerning but also boomers happen when the palnters put it in early in dry soils and timely rains occir.

As I get older I've come to not bet on any weatherman or crop forecasters opinion, other than to throw them in the basket to consider probabilities.

And I don't play report roullette. Having hit some and missed some I should be glad to have avoided too much harm from that folly.

"People of privilege will always risk their complete destruction rather than surrender any material part of their advantage. Intellectual myopia, often called stupidity, is no doubt a reason."

J.K. Galbraith
Veteran Contributor
ag678

Re: Elwynn tweet

Could not agree more.

Veteran Contributor
unlgrad

168, wow, all I can say is I will need another bin or two.  Man, today's prices would be a gift if that came true.

Esteemed Advisor
Hobbyfarmer

Elwynn has been forcasting a drought for the last 4 years here in Ioway. It's been a swamp for 4 years. sooner or later he will be right...you know law of averages and all that. Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

60% of the time, it works every time.

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of dung by the clean end."
Veteran Contributor
Mike central IA

I don't know, but I sure could have used some rain in July and August. Between the wind that blew all of my corn flat and the lack of timely moisture, I had a federal crop claim on 150 acres of corn. I can't remember a time when I was so disgusted with a crop yield. I hope the weather is less volatile for 2012.

Contributor
Buck Grove

Hobbyfarmer, you could not be more wrong and your willingness to put your ignorance in writing speaks volumes.

Contributor
NEIA Cyclone

I was thinking the same thing.  Elwin pretty much nailed yield last March when he said that 148 tops for 2011 corn.

Senior Contributor
GoredHusker

When I was in high school, we had to show our work in mathematics.  Just because we got the answer correct didn't mean we got credit.  Planting in mud and late probably had a lot more to do with the yield than drought.   

Veteran Contributor
DW11

Elwynn was taking the late planting and cool wet conditions in the 148 prediction.  He did show his work.

Frequent Contributor
hwr247

up here in NE ND haven't had any precip since early sept....haven't had a dry spell this long since 1993!!!!  i will take too wet over being too dry anytime....the drought of 88 is still in my mind as the crops slowly withered,its such a sickening helpless and depressed feeling to see all the hard work not to mention the cash inputs go for naught!