Say that.

That's it from here, need to go water the
Camels.....
Oh....maybe someone here can help
Me, when you have a flash drought
Warning, do you chase the cattle up
To the highlands...or down into the
Creek .....

Wonder if usda or extension has a publication about that ?????

Esteemed Advisor
sw363535

Re: **** FLASH DROUGHT *****

[ Edited ]

I would say push em to the creek bottoms before the last of your water is sucked to higher elevations west.

TWC will say anything to hold viewers between those 30 minute commercials.  :smileywink:

sw
Veteran Contributor
llakmf

That is what they called it last year. About this time of the year.

Veteran Advisor
jennys_mn

As we all know, there is no such thing as a "flash drought". This drought ha been so missed by those that forecast weather. It's been that way all summer long. It seems like they believed their own forecasts of wetter than normal rather than looking at what actually hit the ground. But the weird thing about it was, as I have said since that forecast of two inches of rain for Iowa that didn't happen, that the futures market didn't respond to the rain that didn't fall. It was and continues to be a very strange market. Apparently, someone is more in the know than the rest of us.

This evening finds me near Detroit Lakes, MN. On the way up here on Friday, we saw what looked like OK crops from the road, to corn that was two feet tall, tasseled out and completely brown. We saw several bean fields that looked like brown stems in the field, about a foot tall, with the dead leaves still hanging on them. This in an area that produced some of the largest yields lat year. I did see one field, maybe 500 acres, of beans being combined. Lots and lots of brown dust. Then last night we had an inch of rain here. What a mess these fields are going to be to combine. Areas that are already done, with very low moisture that will pop when touched, and I expect we may see some green up of the areas that still have some life. Maybe on the way back tomorrow I'll try and take some pictures and look at a few fields.

I'm still trying to recover from this past month. Sorry for not reporting more often this past few weeks - sometimes you just need to back away and take time for yourself.

Jen
Veteran Advisor
jennys_mn

One more thing I need to add. What the weather channel is not saying. The main reason for this "flash drought" is what many of us have eluded to all summer long. A plant root system that simply could not sustain the plant as the water stopped. Which was a direct result of how this crop went in the ground. Which, of course, was why a 14bbl corn crop - in my opinion - was not ever achievable. He only way it could've happened would've been a near perfect growing season over the bulk of the Midwest with timely rains that actually happened, but of course didn't.

Today, I'm at 11.5 bbl for a final corn crop. 2.62 bbl for our bean crop. But I suspect it will be awhile before that final number is published. Maybe next summer. And by then, we'll be into our next HUGE crop. I'm not sure if we hit solar Maximus yet, I suspect that we haven't as the sunspot activity the last time I checked wasn't that intense yet. After solar max happens, we have another 3 - 4 years of extra solar radiation to deal with before we drop back for 7 years of solar minimus - and the people saying , "Where is global warming now?" again.

Jen
Veteran Advisor
Shaggy98

Welcome back Jen, good to hear from you again.  We were all missing your weather comments.

Senior Advisor
ECIN

Breaking News here -- From your News Leader for East Central Indana -- Last evening - We had Flash Showers break out near Indy ! Yes my friends - a Flash Shower ! They would just Flash up for a minute or 2 and dump a inch and then ? Poof !

Advisor
Red Steele

I thought that we were in better shape than most, and I still think we are, but my road ditch hay isn't much more productive than during last year's drought.

I predict sky high  hay prices to to continue.

"Peace on earth would mean the end of civilization as we know it" Joseph Heller
Veteran Contributor
mnvtfarm

We had one of those flash showers last night .10, thats one tenth total rain fall. Record high temp forcast today of around 100 degrees, that seems a little high. It looks like we'll have another flash drought this afternoon if thats the case.

Senior Contributor
dairyfarmmn

ECI, taking your weekly shower doesn't count as a flash shower.....