Community Manager
marketeye

Fading Soybean Planting Dates

Is the market eyeing the ideal soybean planting dates? Here's a story I put together, outlining the Midwest planting dates and the upcoming 10-day weather outlook:

Farmers Face Fading Ideal Planting Dates

Are you in good shape? Or, are you in an area that has been rained out for 5-7 days. While doing this story, I found out that portions of Indiana may not be able to see planting resume for awhile.

Mike

Frequent Contributor
wcohRagweed

Re: Fading Soybean Planting Dates

Was just over towards northeastern OH today, couple inches of rain there last night, lots of ponding in fields. Some fields were planted to corn but none emerged up that way yet.. seed underwater or sitting in saturated soil. Have yet to hear much about soybeans this year. Saw plenty of fields of corn stalks though. 

Looking at this rainfall map i'd imagine some of Indiana looks about as wet today.

Veteran Advisor
roarintiger1

Cold & wet tends to delay planting, emergence, and general growth............this is nothing new.

And........just in case folks haven't been paying attention, June will be here in 16 days........

In many areas, it won't be fit to plant for at least 4-5 days.......at the earliest.............the clock is ticking.

165.........and........45.        Don't worry........be happy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=t9EE0_gd8OA#t=4

"Failing to prepare is preparing to fail." "Success happens when preparation meets opportunity"
Senior Contributor
Blacksandfarmer

Mike, the corn and beans that are up in this area face the real possibility of getting smoked by frost tonight. The corn I planted ten days ago is up, about an inch tall. I finished soybeans last Wednesday, they are just cracking ground with a few just breaking the surface. A couple of the big boys in the area were planting corn and soybeans the last week of April..... It might be the year of mass replant for a few of the larger operators around here. Planters will not roll again in Indiana for a while.

Senior Contributor
farmerguy89

Yup same story here: nothing emerged. Near freezing temps forecast s... I need to spray my wheat but I am afraid of herbicide damage due to cold temps... A lot need to spray wheat.
Senior Contributor
Wind

Scattered frost here last night, down to 35*.  Lots of corn up and some beans.  My guess is that very little if any damage here.  One more night of concern then warmer nights.

CIA.

Blacksand, just wondering if tomorrow morning might smoke you more than last night?

Senior Contributor
JCCWIS

Even freezeing 32 degrees in Cent. Wi. this morning......no crops to freeze.....virtually nothing planted!!!   John

Senior Contributor
Blacksandfarmer

Wind, Im almost afraid to look. We had frost on the windshield of our car before I went to bed last night. Supposed to be cloudy tonight.