Agriculture News, Markets, Weather, Ag Talk, Farm Machinery | Agriculture.com
Community Manager
marketeye

Favorable Summer, Record Crops Ahead

At an agricultural conference in Chicago Thursday, the MDA Weather Service released a big 'ole bag of weather nachos for the bears to chew on. Please weigh-in with your perspective on the subject. We would love to hear from you.

Here is the full story: Favorable Summer, Record Crops Ahead

Thanks,

Mike

Veteran Advisor
Shaggy98

Re: Favorable Summer, Record Crops Ahead

If we don't have favorable in the next 2 weeks, our summer won't be favorable. Central Kansas wheat is in real trouble.
Community Manager
marketeye

Shaggy98,

Yeah, this story certainly doesn't refer to the current wheat crop suffering through drought. It's making a point about  the prospects of corn and beans.

That's a real shame what is going on in your area, though. Sorry to hear it. Any cattle operations worried about a lack of pasture? Also, can you tell me what the latest is on cotton production in Kansas? At one point, more gins were being put up than ethanol plants. What's the latest on that crop in Kansas?

Thanks,

Mike

Veteran Advisor
c-x-1

[ Edited ]

good story.

from MDA website:

MDA was tasked by the U.S. government to develop a worldwide crop modeling system for monitoring crop developments worldwide so the U.S. Government would know the crop production outlook anywhere in the world at any time. This system became the genesis of the USDA Foreign Agricultural Services (FAS).

from wikipedia:

MacDonald, Dettwiler and Associates Ltd. (TSX: MDA) is a Richmond, British Columbia global communications and information

company providing operational solutions to commercial and government organizations worldwide

furthermore, so this story serves as a preview of 1st 14-15 production #'s for USDA balance sheets in a couple months....

Veteran Advisor
jennys_mn

Well, here we are with the record crops. AGAIN....what a surprise! And what a joke. We have 5 feet of frost in the ground with the prospects of a foot of snow on the ground by morning. Right! Let's not bet against the American Farmer! My gosh we're good here in the states. You saw my early forecasts for the upper Midwest. The area of dryness is still persistent in in panhandles. But here we go...AGAIN....(Broken) Record Crops. Better sell now guys - you'll never get another opportunity. Let's reward the market for putting out another piece-of-crap story that had no real basis in anything. Can I say there won't be record crops right now - no, anymore than this author can say there will be.

Hobby - you should've sent me those glasses....

I'm not ready for an updated weather long term forecast beyond what I wrote months ago. I suppose I probably should start watching a bit more intently, you know how I love to debunk the "talking heads"...

Jen
Contributor
formeragcofan

The flip side of that broken record is, unfavorable summer, record prices ahead.

I dunno, but from this vantage point-it could be a 50/50 chance on either. I was always told not to count your chickens before they are hatched. I think it would be a good idea to spread some of THAT wisdom around.

Esteemed Advisor
Hobbyfarmer

corn.jpg

Iowa missed it again and Ks and Neb did not fare much better as a whole. The drought for much of the western corn belt is alive and well.  Minn got more moisture ... how much good will it do on frozen ground. 30% of the corn soybean belt is still moderately dry to plain parched.

As long as 70% can carry the load we have a bumper crop already as good as in the bin...yea right. Especially Maryland and Kentucky.

60% of the time, it works every time.

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of dung by the clean end."
Esteemed Advisor
Hobbyfarmer

No matter how good it is someone some where will have a disaster...

No matter how bad it is someone some where will have a great year...

60% of the time, it works every time.

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of dung by the clean end."
Veteran Advisor
roarintiger1

I am not even going to read the story.........I've read and heard it before. Plus, I've already seen the movie. And for that matter already lived it.   Nothing to see here.   I would agree that we now need a story about a bad crop and just how high would prices go......

"Failing to prepare is preparing to fail." "Success happens when preparation meets opportunity"
Veteran Advisor
Shaggy98

Mike I can't answer your question on cotton production for the fact there probably isn't any significant production within 100-150 miles of my location. SW might have some info he can pass onto you, last time I was down in that area it was getting rather aggressive and was starting to compete with corn/soybeans. At least that is how it looked to the untrained eye. SW Kansas with the irrigation and SE Kansas with the annual precipitation about double of what my location is the main factor I'm sure.

Pasture conditions are going to be serious again without significant moisture soon. Traditionally we get decent moisture during the month of April so we should get moisture soon, that being said, we just dodged a two day rain event that missed us completely but some areas of Kansas did receive some moisture according to the radar but I haven't heard any amounts as of yet. Talked to a couple cattle producer a few days ago and they are planning on planting several hundred acres of cover crops for grazing purposes. It's almost to the point of sacrificing crop production to save the cattle herd or sell the herd now while the prices are nearing all time highs. Decisions will need to be made if we continue down this path.