Agriculture News, Markets, Weather, Ag Talk, Farm Machinery | Agriculture.com
Contributor
bigbobinil

First field of corn harvested

Harvested our first corn on Thursday.  40 acre field.  19 % wet.  All taken to town, so scale weights used. Elevator shrink factor of ..14 per tenth..  Dry bushels 6777. Corn planted May 2nd.  Dryland, 2nd year corn, smart stax, no insecticide, no fungicide.  Fall applied NH3.  Last year 100 bu. average on this field.  NW Illinois. excellent yield for this field.

Senior Contributor
NDf

Re: First field of corn harvested

Almost 170 pretty good corn, but where is the 200+ last time the national yield was around 160 there was numerous reports of 200bu/a coming from ILL. I guess it is early yet.

Senior Contributor
BF2012

Say What?????

NW Illinois....perhaps the bes soils,  growing and planting conditions in the State Of Illinois - never lacked for rain, and you're excited with 160 something  bu/acre corn?    What am I missing here.....??????

Contributor
bigbobinil

Re: Say What?????

Our area had only about 1 1/2 inches of rain between mid July and the first week of September.  The soil type of that field is such that a 170 yield is very good.  In fact, that is about the best it has ever done.  That field is generally one of our lower yeilding ones year in and year out.  With the extreme heat in the first half of September, we were concerned about test weight, but were surprised it was 57# and above on every load.  We are hopeful that as we start to harvest our other acres that yields will improve.  Those fields have better quality soils, and some are also irrigated.  Soybeans, however, are a completely different story.  Lack of August rains, and heat, have really taken their toll on our soybean acres.

Senior Contributor
IllinoisSteve

I hate to break it to you BF but those soils where he is at are far from the best Illinois has to offer.  If he is indeed in NW Illinois, that ground up there is extremely hilly with some tough soil types.  I was up thru Galena and over to Dubuque back in mid August and things looked pretty tough over there at that time.  They may have gotten some rain shortly after that but not sure.  I would think folks in the areas I saw would be pretty thrilled with 160 or 170 bu corn.  Southeast of there 60 or 70 miles is where you start to get into some really good ground.  From there on down into Bloomington and over toward Springfield is where the big yields in Illinois usually come from.  Those areas are just getting started.  There has been a little bit of corn harvested in my area and it has been phenomenal.  Record breaking.  I'm still not quite convinced that we will beat 08 for our whole farm average but after seeing what I have the past few days it is possible.

Senior Contributor
BF2012

Thanks for clarifying.....anything north of us we consider good ground.    lol.      Just got back from Church, going to enjoy some Pot Roast and we're going to start shelling.   Details at 7:00.   

Take care all.    Stay safe.