Community Manager
marketeye

Floor Talk April 12

[ Edited ]

VIDEO: Grain Market Summary for April 12

Mike

--------

At the close:

The July corn futures closed 2 cents higher at $6.29. The July soybean contract finished 20 1/4 cents higher at $14.44 1/2. The July wheat futures settled 11 cents higher at $6.44 1/2. The July soymeal futures settled $7.70 per short ton higher at $396.60. The July soyoil futures ended $0.76 higher at $57.60. 
In the outside markets, the NYMEX crude oil is $0.90 per barrel higher, the dollar is lower and the Dow Jones Industrials are up 172 points.

Mike

--------

At mid-session:

The July corn futures trade 5 3/4 cents higher at $6.32 3/4. The July soybean contract is trading 18 cents higher at $14.42 1/4. The July wheat futures are trading 9 1/2 cents higher at $6.43. The July soymeal futures are trading $6.60 per short ton higher at $395.50. The July soyoil futures are trading $0.37 higher at $57.21. 
In the outside markets, the NYMEX crude oil is $1.13 per barrel higher, the dollar is lower and the Dow Jones Industrials are up 141 points.

One analyst says, "Yes, demand is the reason here along with weaker US dollar and stronger crude oil and stocks.  The soybeans weekly sales were poor, but the sales overnight to China and Unknown wiped that out.  Corn sales strong.  Specs are buying, South America quiet so far.  Weather also a factor due to the freeze we saw here in the Midwest overnight, but I doubt any lasting damage was done. I think the demand story is the key for the price action today."

Mike

-------

At 10:30am:

Soybeans are riding the demand train, as prices go 20¢ higher Thursday.

Mike

--------

At the open:

The July corn futures trade 5 cents higher at $6.32. The July soybean contract is trading 12 1/4 cents higher at $14.36 1/2. The July wheat futures are trading 9 1/2 cents higher at $6.43 1/4. The July soymeal futures are trading $5.10 per short ton higher at $393.70. The July soyoil futures are trading $0.27 higher at $57.10. 
In the outside markets, the NYMEX crude oil is $1.04 per barrel higher, the dollar is lower and the Dow Jones Industrials are 80 points.

Mike

--------

At 8am:

--USDA announces Thursday that 115,000 mt of U.S. soybeans were sold to China.

--USDA announces Thursday that 189,000 mt of U.S. soybeans were sold to an 'unknown' buyer.

--Japan buys 145,123 mt of milling wheat from multiple origins Thursday.

Mike

------

At 7:30am:

USDA Weekly Export Sales are bullish for corn market:

Corn=975,800 mt vs. the trade's expectations of 625,000 metric tons (mt).

Soybeans=636,400 mt compared to the trade's expectations of 900,000 mt.

Wheat=515,500 mt vs. the trade's expectations of 500,000 mt.

Soymeal=162,700 mt.

Mike

-----------

At 7:25am:

On Wednesday, the Energy Information Agency announced that the weekly ethanol production averaged 896,000 barrels per day (b/d) – or 37.63 million gallons daily.  That is up 23,000 b/d from the week before.  The 4-week average for ethanol production stood at 888,000 b/d for an annualized rate of 13.61 billion gallons.
Stocks of ethanol stood at 21.8 million barrels.

- ----------

At 6:35am:

Early calls: Corn 1-2 cents higher, soybeans 5-7 cents higher, and wheat 3-4 cents higher.

Trackers:
Overnight grain, soybean markets=Trading higher.
Crude Oil=$0.33 per barrel higher.
Dollar=Lower.
Wall Street=Seen trading higher, as investors await U.S. jobs data and producer prices reports. Earnings season continues today.

World Markets=Higher.

USDA Weekly Export Sales will be out at 7:30am central time.

More in a minute,

Mike

Community Manager
marketeye

Re: Floor Talk April 12

[ Edited ]

I had a chance to plant some corn yesterday. My brother and a neighbor were rolling south of Des Moines, Iowa. I brought my camera and notepad. I thought I would share what I saw and heard. My favorite footnote has to do with the seed dealer being able to go turkey hunting on 'opening' day this year. Find out why.

Here's the corn planting slideshow.

By the way, the farmers told me they are eyeing this corn market. Watching cash prices creep closer to that $5.00 cash area is concerning.

Mike

Advisor
giolucas

Mike,

Nice pictures.  Was the subsoil too dry?   I though some pictures looked super dry.

Senior Contributor
Canuck_2

The ground looks like ours for moisture, quite dry.

Have had little precipitation in the last month here so ground is dry enough to plant but we are cold.

That was my thoughts when I saw the coats in your pictures it is always better to get the seed into warm ground and we do not have that yet with temps staying below 10C lately for highs and below 0 at night.

That is probably why few planters are rolling in Ontario yet because the soil is certainly dry enough to plant.

Rain this weekend and into next week so maybe some will try planting ahead of that just in case it does not stop raining after that.

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
Community Manager
marketeye

giolucas,

It might have been, considering it was bottom ground. But, I did some digging myself and found some moisture down there. But, you make a decent point. Looks like rain is on the way later today or tomorrow for that area. Hopefully, a little rain will fall on that field. Yes, there was some dust flying but not much, it didn't seem like, when you're out there in the field.

Community Manager
marketeye

[ Edited ]

My brother mentioned that about his coat. He put it on when he left the house. But, once he loaded the seed and got rolling for the day, he found out he really overdressed.

Thanks for the comments. I had a great time. I had a light windbreaker on and it was fine.

Mike

Community Manager
marketeye

At least one analytical firm is directing farmers' attention to the bullish May/July corn (9 1/4 cents) and May/July soybean (8-mo. high) contract spreads. With Midwest rain on the way and possible plantng delays,  the market may see this as a window of opportunity for a switching of acres from corn to soybeans.

What do you think?

Mike

Senior Contributor
farsider

Was surprised how few started yesterday, maybe lows in the lower 20's last few days and a possibility of rain coming and chance it being cold next week are keeping some planters in the shed.
Esteemed Advisor
Hobbyfarmer

NO planting here (can't be too far from the planting pictures.

The ground is working as good as it ever has. Just finished NH3 yesterday and could not see the bar about half the time because of dust.

The 175hp rated Challenger tracked machine didn't have much to do to pull it at 8mph. 13 knife conventional applicator.

Instead of mud clods there was a fine teepee of silt on every flat surface. Beautiful conditions to plant in if it weren't too early and 4 or five days of moisture forcast. That ground would make a 2" crust with a hard rain. I don't need a half a$$ed crop stand out there. IT IS STILL EARLY.

Of the last 4 years I have had to replant about half the acres three of those ... I do not want to do it again this year. I farm mostly river bottom type ground. I saw many frost damaged weeds and Mulberry trees around the bottoms yesterday. At this point in time I am glad every seed for my farms in still in the bag.

Had a call from a friend just SE of Indy this morning, he said it looked like every planter but his was running. (Rushville, In. area) He doesn't carry crop insurance and says it is too early and too cold with a 2" rain forcast in the next few days for his area. He will start AFTER this event.

60% of the time, it works every time.

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of dung by the clean end."
Community Manager
marketeye

[ Edited ]

farsider,

Take a look at these photos just sent to me by a market analyst. This corn, hit by frost, is in Champaign County and Logan County, Illinois.

image001.jpg

image002.jpg

IMG_0278.jpg

What will the market think of early planted corn dinged by frost?