Honored Advisor

Frost on the pumpkin

Nice frosty morning here in central Nebraska this morning.

Brrrrrrr, going o take some time to adjust.

Advisor

Re: Frost on the pumpkin

At this point a killing frost would be good for us.  Be helpful to kill some late season weeds.

Before this last batch of rain moved in beans were running about 11% in the afternoon sun.

Stems are still pretty tough, some are still a bit green. 

Running a little slower on the ground speed trying to pick the beans up off the ground.

Honored Advisor

Mine are still yellow to barely brown, one night of 28° would be a good thing for them. Sunny and 70 for a month after that to dry up the mud they are standing in would nice.

Honored Advisor

Not much harvested in sw Iowa, more done in Nebraska as a % still most of it to go though.

Beans look to be the better crop this year, yield wise.

Lots of ear rot and mold in the corn in our area.

The corn crop is getting smaller.

The west fourty to fifty miles of Iowa is a quagmire. Water everywhere, rivers running muddy.

Honored Advisor

I welcome a frost, it`d give some later maturity beans a kick in the pants, truthfully 10 days ago would`ve been right.  Perhaps a frost would change this wet cycle we`re in, but here were only supposed to get to 36º but i`ll take it.

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

39* here this morning.  .12" of rain last night, not enough to stop corn harvest.  Less than .25" from the last two rain events.  Farmers are back and forth with corn and beans trying to find dry crops.  Corn running on either side of 200, mostly above.  Beans, if you had SDS you took a hit, if not, in the 60's. I have seen 90* days in Oct and also 12" snow storms!  Favorite month of the year.  

Senior Contributor

Nice wouldn't mind it frosting up here lots of green beens and weeds need it. Probably not the best after the just shy of 3" of rain yesterday.! Guys here looking at Tuesday or Wednesday before we see a field not under water. Wind you should just keep going what I would do for 200 bu. Corn and 60 bu beans there's no limit. lol 😉
Veteran Contributor

Hey, @Hobbyfarmer, I agree it may take some time to adjust to needing the feather bed, but it would be nice to kill the vegetation and then it could warm up again.  Smiley Happy