Agriculture News, Markets, Weather, Ag Talk, Farm Machinery | Agriculture.com
Senior Contributor
Canuck_2

Frost??

Last night we had some heavy thunderstorms rolling through.

While checking the weather office watches and warnings I happened to notice they had frost warnings out for southern Saskatchewan, South East Alberta and South West Manitoba.

Anyone know how the crops fared or are they mature enough to take a frost now.

Did this extend into the US too?

BTW no frost for us in Ontario.

30 degrees yesterday and only down to 19 last night, which is good, too much late planted corn that will not be ready for frost until early October at least.

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
Veteran Contributor
Whitesand_Farms

Re: Frost??

The low got down to 5 degrees celcius across Eastern Sask and Western Manitoba. If the thermometer would have have dropped below 0 it would have been devastating because of all the rains this spring alot of crop got seeded in June and July. There are alot of green crops in the fields and the farmers need atleast another 2-3 weeks without frost. I did see the north tip of Sask. got a frost but hopefully the crops there were ripe already.

Advisor
nwobcw

Our greatest risk of an early frost is Sep. 9-11.  I have never seen it being so close to Lake Erie.  Frost usually hits mid October these days.

Veteran Contributor
dafeeder

The weatherman is calling for record lows of 44 degrees in SC Kansas on Monday, so the lows a few states north of here could be a little cold.

Senior Contributor
Canuck_2

nwobcw wrote:

Our greatest risk of an early frost is Sep. 9-11.  I have never seen it being so close to Lake Erie.  Frost usually hits mid October these days.

About the earliest frost I have seen is mid Sept, maybe as early as the 10th with a light frost. I am inland from the lakes so do not have the warming from them as much.

Normally consider we are safe until Sept 20-25th after that the risks keep increasing.

In the past few years though frosts have been later and later. Mid October is becoming more the normal at least for a good killing frost and 1 year recently we went into early November before frost. 

Hoping for that this year with early June planted corn.

Lots of Soys that are still green too.

Senior Contributor
Canuck_2

Whitesand_Farms wrote:

The low got down to 5 degrees celcius across Eastern Sask and Western Manitoba. If the thermometer would have have dropped below 0 it would have been devastating because of all the rains this spring alot of crop got seeded in June and July. There are alot of green crops in the fields and the farmers need atleast another 2-3 weeks without frost. I did see the north tip of Sask. got a frost but hopefully the crops there were ripe already.

Yes 5 is getting close.

that is what I wondered when I saw the warnings with the wet spring.

I see the frost warnings are out for parts of Northern Ontario tonight.

14 forecast for us tonight but 8 for Tuesday morning then a little warmer again.

Advisor
nwobcw

Canuck I got 7 tenths out of  that and a little sprinkle Sunday evening.   My parents were married late October, the 25th I think, 1940.   I remember Ma saying how they picked flowers from the garden to use at the wedding as it hadn't frosted yet.  So late frosts are not new here, 3 miles off the lake.   Being metric illiterate, how does celsius relate to farenheit?

Veteran Contributor
chipster22

[ Edited ]

According to this chart it looks like 5 degrees C is equal to about 41 degrees F.

http://www.texloc.com/closet/cl_cel_fah_chart.html

Zero degrees in celcius is freezing.

Senior Contributor
Canuck_2

nwobcw wrote:

Canuck I got 7 tenths out of  that and a little sprinkle Sunday evening.   My parents were married late October, the 25th I think, 1940.   I remember Ma saying how they picked flowers from the garden to use at the wedding as it hadn't frosted yet.  So late frosts are not new here, 3 miles off the lake.   Being metric illiterate, how does celsius relate to farenheit?

Still raining here. 50mm total last night when I dumped it (that is about 2 inches in the old measure).

As for Celsius I do not bother converting that just keeps you thinking in the old measure.

So think water freezes at 0 and boils at 100.

You will need a jacket when the temperature is in the teens kind of nice in the 20ies and too damned hot when it gets to 30 which it was here the last couple days with humidity.

The lake can help with frost for sure.

Once you get to 4 and below in my yard I could get a little frost on my low ground on a calm night.

Advisor
nwobcw

I have seen frost as warm as 38 degrees although rare.  Frost at 36 degrees is common.  Rain in forecast next 4 days.  A bad case of aphids has come outta nowhere, never have seen them this late.