Ag Talk | Agriculture.com
Senior Advisor
sw363535

GDP & "Who is selling grains?"

Just read an article that China's GDP growth has slowed to 7.7%---------------------- Wow----------- Wish we had those problems.

By the way-------------- Which of you is selling grain on a sunday evening????   ----------------------- Cut it out!!!!!!

sw
Veteran Advisor
BA Deere

Re: GDP & "Who is selling grains?"

Don`t look at me, I don`t have anything to sell.  It must be those up in the Red River Valley, they always have "big piles" and are always bearish.  I always thought NCIA was the center of the universe, we raise 200 bushel corn standing on our heads, here we`re empty.

Senior Advisor
sw363535

:smileyhappy:

Thanks BA.   Maybe that Canadian prairie corn coming on in the fall is getting priced.

Always wanted to go north enough to see the Red R. Valley---------------- seems like it always floods in the spring when the snow melts.  When they have snow.  It flows north so I suppose Canada won't take the water til the paperwork's right.  

sw
Veteran Contributor
Whitesand_Farms

The red river valley basin is large and most of the areas have well above average snow pacts. It wouldn't surprise me to see another bad flood again this year. They said last years was a one in three hundred year event and there is more snow now I guess it depends on how fast the snow melts. I'm glad I'm at the start of the basin and not at the end of it. It is some of the flattest ground I've seen and when the river spills it's banks nobody is spared.
Veteran Advisor
BA Deere

Yes Whitesand.  with that challenging ground, why do those that post from that area always seem to be so "bearish"?   If I was in a tough area, I would want to talk the market up and I sure wouldn`t be irrationally forward contracting.   Maybe it just seems like there`s more vocal bears from that area. :smileyhappy:

Senior Advisor
sw363535

Not knowing that area specifically,  yet coming from an area where risk is high of both feast or starvation---------- I would just have to say that the survivors-------------- over decades--------------- tend to be the ones who prepare for the worst as well as the best.

You know, the ones who can remember the bad years as well as the good.  Areas where success is made by how you handle the problems.  

Those folks tend to come across as pessimistic verbally because they are preparing themselves ,  when at the same time they have to be some of the most optimistic people to take the risks they take and love what they do.

Marketing wise I think they do the same-------- prepare for what will hurt them.  And are quietly thankful when things go the other way knowing it will change.

sw
Veteran Advisor
BA Deere

I think you're right, SW. However they must not have a problem with "backyard it is" or maybe they are just quietly coining money, crafty buggers :smileyhappy: